Chapter 7: At Least It's Not A Hearse

Sara's first instinct was to run towards one of the many backed up vehicles queuing along the road. And that's exactly what she did.

She urgently rapped on the window of the closet car, a small blue hatchback. But the middle-aged woman behind the wheel did not wind the window down. Instead she just stared fearfully back at Sara through lightly tinted glass, her hands tightly gripping the steering wheel.

Sara begged her to unlock the door, begged for the woman to help her. But she didn't. She just wordlessly shook her head and then transfixed her eyes widely beyond Sara's presence.

Sara barely got time to look behind her to see what she was looking at as someone grabbed at her, hauling her back.

Sara let out a yelp, her face jerking upwards as she met blue and gold eyes partially obscured behind blond hair.

"You're scaring her!" Sara snapped at Twister as she clawed at his arm curled around her waist. Her shirt slightly ridden up, a weird fizzle of energy prickled where his skin made contact with hers.

Sara's struggles were futile even though Twister's attention was clearly pulled elsewhere. Sparkie stood next to his brother, shushing Sara's grunts and huffs as she tried to scramble free.

"What is-"

Sara jerked still as something uncoordinatedly zipped between cars.
In a flash of mangey fur, snapping jaws launched straight at the trio.

A throaty snarl accompanied by sounds of its claws scratching up the little blue car, using it to propel itself forward, sent instant chills down Sara's spine.

It was fast. But so we're the twins. Sara barely had time to comprehend what was happening before she was flung out of the way, Twister throwing her clear whist he dodged a strike from the fierce mass. Sparkie pushed into the space where Twister had been, thrusting the heel of his hand forward with enough force that it smashed the upper half of the beastly creature through the poor woman's car window.

Her shrieking ensued and eased the beast out its daze. Resulting in a monstrous head of teeth snapping at her as she scrambled to get her locked door open.

Sparkie tried to yank it back out, but the creature's twisted fingers intermittently gripped and tore against seats and interior as it wildly thrashed about, eager to pursue its trapped prey.

Sara was unable to move, her body frozen in fear and the seconds dragging by agonisingly slow. She didn't even realise she was on her knees until she felt Twister lifting her slowly back upright. His tight grip on her underarms and presence against her back oddly offered a sliver of comfort.

Eventually the desperate woman freed herself, but not unscathed. She fled while clasping at a thoroughly slashed shoulder, blood trickling down from the multiple gouges on her arm.

The creature suddenly ripped out of the trashed vehicle, its attention on Sparkie and its teeth barred into an aggressive challenge.

It's top jaw was unable to fit into its bottom one as it should, and its body, although matching Sara in height, was also oddly proportioned, twitching grotesquely as it rocked upright on its hind legs. There were ripped shreds of fabric tightly wrung around its thighs and chest, its ribcage appearing to large for its skin. Every rib protruding and defined.

Dark fur was balding in many places, and it's limbs, in particular its fingers twisted like gnarly tree limbs. All around the circumference of its neck was an outline of raw, blistering flesh.

Its eyes seemed unable to focus on one target, the whites of its eyes bloodshot into a weeping mess. Yet Sara knew it was periodically looking at her, taking her in with as much awareness as it could muster, in between sizing up the twins that had protected her.