<3 (10) Cake

I sing to myself as I crack eggs into my bowl full of ingredients. I check the recipe book. "Two cups of sugar...got it," I say to myself, underlining the items written into the book with my finger. I skip over to one of the cabinets and pull out the sugar jar.

Today was Felíx's birthday, and I offered to back a cake for the occasion. I usually never bake, but I thought it'd be a good way to thank Camilo's dad for being so welcoming to me.

As I pour the sugar into the bowl, I suddenly feel like something's off...almost like someone was watching me. I quickly jerk my head around the room and sigh when I see Camilo peering in at me from the other side of the counter. "Camilo!" I scold. "I told you you aren't allowed in here!"

"Why not?" Camilo pouts, giving me puppy eyes.

I knew that he knew why he wasn't allowed in here: because no food is safe from Camilo's appetite. "Because you'll eat all of the food and your dad won't get a birthday cake." I sweetly say it as though I was talking to a small child.

Camilo dramatically gasps. "I am wounded! Have you no faith in your boyfriend, señorita?" He asks faked shocked while placing a hand over his heart.

I dust my hands off on my apron and approach Camilo. My fingers slowly make their way up Camilo's arm to his head. I ruffle dark brown curly locks. "Of course, I trust you, love. I just don't trust your stomach." I say with a smirk.

Camilo frowns.

I head back to my baking and begin mixing the bowl of batter. Camilo sulks and rests his head on the table. As he traces his finger along the counters tiles, a mischievous grin forms on his lips. "Hey, (Yn)? Your family has fruit, right?"

"Yeah." I mindlessly reply, not taking my eyes off the batter. "There's some papaya in the basket by the flour."

"Gatcha. Thanks!" He says, walking behind me.

I hear a couple of soft shuffling noises when I suddenly feel an odd thud on my back. I run my fingers along my blouse and gasp when I see fluffy white flour on my back. I jerk my head around and see Camilo standing behind me, clumps of flour in hand. He quickly hides his hands behind his back and nervously chuckles. "Huh, I wonder how that got there...?"

"I can't believe you just there flour at me! It's like you're five, Cam." I scoff.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're a stick in the mud." Camilo crosses his arms and gives me a challenging smile.

I dramatically gasp as I reach my hand behind my back and grab what's left from a stick of butter. "You'd better take that back," I warn.

"And why should I?"

"I'll make you regret saying that." I say while securing my grip on the butter.

Camilo positions himself in a defensive pose. "Bring it, señorita."

It didn't take any more playful bantering for me to chuck the stick of butter at Camilo. I laugh at him as a chunk of semi-melted butter runs down his nose. "You should see your face!!" I tease.

"Oh yeah?" Camilo asks, grabbing another handful of flour and tossing it at my face. I squint my eyes shut to avoid getting any of the powder in my eyes, and quickly grab a rag to wipe my face off.

When I finally recover from the temporary attack, I turn around and see Camilo holding the mixing spoon and raising it to his mouth to lick. "DON'T YOU DARE!" I shout, running towards him to swipe the spoon away.

Somehow I manage to pin Camilo to the ground. We both laugh as Camilo continues to keep the spoon away from me, even though victory would be impossible for the young Madrigal. I had the high ground. Literally.

I'm able to swipe the spoon away, and triumphantly cheer. "Good game, Cam, but I think it's clear who the winner is."

Camilo quickly grabs my head with his hands, pulls me down to his face, and kisses me on my flour-covered lips. I happily kiss him back but fail to notice Camilo gently pulling the spoon from my hands. As we part, he brings the spoon to his mouth and licks the batter from it. "Dang (Yn). This is amazing! You're really giving Tía Julieta a run for her money." He complements.

"Awe thanks!" I say with a smile. Wait a second... "you were just trying to make me forget about what you did with petty flattery!" I scowl.

"No, I'm serious!!" Camilo quickly says.

I roll my eyes. "You're such a scoundrel," I say with a giggle.

"Luckily for me, you love me too much." Camilo winks at me.

I sigh in defeat. "Yeah, I do." I snatch the spoon from his hand. "But that won't stop me from doing this!" I say, smacking my boyfriend's head with the spoon.

"Hey!!" He laughs as I repeatedly whack him on the head.

The cake could wait a little longer.