Chapter 16 | Sherlock

*Excuse me for the long hiatus!! I just finished my final exams!*

The Scotland Yard had extended their search, storming Durham University for any signs of the killer Isabella Louise Marcelle. She was absent due to circumstances. However, any remains of her existence and work at the university were destroyed. They raided her neatly kept office, the corner of her personal library that she cherished, and her study garden; they trampled her well-kept lab and shredded her academic papers, journals, and notebooks. 

 Rumors flew among the students, parents pulled their children out temporarily. They covered their mouths and sneered at Louise behind her back. The train returning to London was packed with rich students flying home to nestle under the protective wing of their families.

Luckily, William could stay in his London manor due to his University job at Durham vanishing into thin air for quite a while he assumed. He tapped on his cane with his index finger. Rhythmically. Tap tap tap. With every beat a new possibility. Where could Louise be? What would be her next move? 

꧁༺ ༻꧂

Sherlock stood alongside several policemen who were heavily armed with pistols on their waistbands. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets and his eyebrows furrowed together in concern. 

Brandon Taylor opened his door and greeted the Scotland Yard. Sherlock absorbed the interior of the mansion for clues from the proportionally small doorway. Digging his heels into the freshly kept gravel, he cracked his neck.

"Count Taylor," a young policeman coughed, "we are informed that the criminal Isabella Louise Marcelle has arrived at your manor two days ago." 

"Do you know her whereabouts?" Another spoke up. Sherlock watched Taylor with a piercing gaze. He still could not accept the fact that Isabella Louise Marcelle was a murderer. She has smiled so brightly next to William himself. She was a friendly acquaintance, a gorgeous one at that. And her relationship with William... 

After meeting William on the cruise, he had met up with his favorite maths professor a couple of times. The Lord of Crime ran rampant, and he was certain that this Lord of Crime would be as smart as William if it were not him. 

"Of course not. Don't associate me with her." Count Taylor snapped which pulled Sherlock out of his temporary daze. His ears perked up; Taylor's tone was a tad bit dramatic. 

"Her family has denied any allegations with their adopted daughter and you are the last witness sir."

"I haven't seen Lady Isabella since the day she came," Count Taylor rolled his eyes theatrically as if saying your time here is done. Sherlock placed his hands on his mouth. Suspicious he thought. Count Taylor was an amateur actor in the face of a master detective. 

"Sir, you are her confirmed last contact, please tell us everything you know."

"What I know?" his tone was mocking, " What I know... is that you all are incompetent. You came to me two days after my last contact with her, only to accuse me of being involved in whatever this charade is!"

It was Sherlock who spoke up, "That does not excuse the fact that you are suspicious."

"Are you accusing me of being a liar? Who even are you?!" Taylor crossed his arms together at the sight of Sherlock and his loose attire.

"Sherlock. Sherlock Holmes," Sherlock himself held a puzzled expression, stroking his chin. " It is only a deduction, but you seem to have a... a lady upstairs?"

It was all over Taylor's facial expression. Almost like he wanted to be caught red-handed. Alas, it was only visible to Sherlock. Taylor's mouth hung open in disbelief.