Epilogue

*Six years later in the United States*

"James dear, will you go get me my hat from upstairs?"

"Sure thing mum! Can I bring my books to the restaurant?" 

"Oh my, are you going to hog the window seat all day again?"

"Nah, I'll probably play chess with the big guys at counter seats. once I get bored" 

Louise smiled and pinched his cheek, "try not to make the adults feel too bad about themselves okay?" she let out a soft laugh.  

James nodded and then sprinted up the stairs and came down wearing her hat on his head with a stack of books between his arms. 

 Louise took her cane and hoisted herself up from the chair. 

"Ah, mum I'll help," James skipped towards her and wedged himself between her arm to support her. 

She chuckled, picked up her hat, and kissed her son on the head. 

It was their usual Saturday when James didn't have school and would come to the restaurant where Louise worked. 

"Mum, how did you get your wound? Why doesn't it heal? When will you tell me?"

"Oh you curious little one," Louise chuckled as she walked slowly towards her workplace. 

"Please mum, please I want to know. You're always so secretive about it" James jumped up and down next to her. 

"Hmm let's see," Louise tilted her head and laughed at her son's little pout. 

"It was back in London... I was a little wild back then. I got into an accident where I got this old rascal of a wound. Miraculously, I landed in a little boat which washed up to a small church on the outskirts of London." 

"How is that possible," James squinted at his mother, clearly sensing that she was sugar-coating her story. 

"Miracles miracles," Louise looked up at the sky, basking in a distant memory. "

"And then and then?" James continued to nag at her. 

"Oh well, it was a miracle really. My pulse was so low and unidentifiable that they thought I was dead. But Granny Melissa, you know her, she insisted that I rest on a bed. And after a few days, my pulse and breathing recovered, and I gradually came to where I am now sweetheart."

"But you're not completely recovered," James whined. 

"Oh darling, the fact that you came into this world after has me completely recovered."

James rolled his eyes, but his cute little act did not match as he leaned into his mother's hip and blushed uncontrollably. 

Shortly after they arrived at the restaurant. 

"Heyy here comes the genius boy!!" a rough-looking old man greeted James and tipped his hat at Louise. 

"Today I'm gonna beat you," another young man of middle age chuckled and crossed his arms, also tipping his hat at Louise before doing so. 

Several other men repeated the same action. 

James sprung into action, quickly placing his books on the counter and jumping on the high stool in front of the chess board. "I want to play black!!" 

Louise smiled and walked into the kitchen where she greeted the owner of the restaurant.

"Good morning Mr. Collins," she smiled brightly, putting on an apron. 

"Ah g'day Louise, can you start brewing the coffee all the guys are waiting for ya since the diner opened." 

"Of course, I hope you don't mind my boy running around your place every time"

"Ah no problems, he just makes the place livelier. He's all brains, isn't he? Gonna do great things in the future." 

Louise blushed, "He can be too curious sometimes."

Louise continued to help in the kitchen after brewing some coffee for the men at the counter. She could hear the groans as her six-year-old son proceeded to take on the seven adult men that always came to the diner on Saturday mornings: partly to see Louise, and partly to play with her son. James was quite famous in the city for winning chess competitions at the age of six. He could already afford all of his educational expenses on his own. He spent most of his money on books and got more loose change from giving little pieces of advice and wisdom to the uneducated adults in the neighborhood. 

The bell rang indicating that a new customer walked in. 

"Oh my, what's this?" a soft voice spoke. 

"Hey buddy, this kid here's gonna be the future chess champion, wanna play him?" 

"I'd love to."

"Are you strong sir?"

"Hmmm, I consider myself to be quite good."

"Great! Let's get to it." 

James set up the chess board.

A few silent minutes passed and Louise craned her neck up from the piece of dough that she was making. She thought maybe her son had found a strong opponent and smiled. 

Then a roar erupted from the dining area. 

Momentarily James came rushing into the kitchen, "Mum mum!!!" 

Louise snapped, "James, how many times have I told you not to interrupt my work." 

"Mum please, this guy just beat me!! You need to play him, you're the only one who can beat me so you need to please mum please!"

"James I'm working."

"Just ten minutes please, isn't it alright Uncle Roger?"

"Of course Kiddo, go drag your mama out there all you want." 

"Mr. Collins!!"

"Let's go, mum!"

Louise sighed and patted her hands on her apron and picked up a kettle full of fresh coffee off the stove. She stepped out of the kitchen with her son. 

"Mum, you need to play him!" James gestured towards the counter. 

Louise looked at the man sitting on a high stool with a polite smile on his face. 

The man looked up from the chess board and swallowed hard. 

"Louise," he spoke softly. 

"William," she breathed out. 

It was only a brief moment before they flew into each other's arms.