The School

As the car pulled into the school parking lot, Maya felt a strange sense of uncertainty in her mind. She tried to distract herself by looking out the window, but that just made it worse-  there were kids everywhere and some of them were staring. She couldn't blame them- she'd be staring as well if a big black car just suddenly turned up at her school.
They got out of the car- It was almost funny how kids were backing away from them.They all looked at Caine and Diana and some of them were staring at Maya. It was starting to get uncomfortable.
Suddenly, someone put their arm around her. It was Drake.
"You alright?"
It was strange to say the least- Drake- a tall, thin and scary boy- had a sensitive side? Maya forced a smile.
"Yeah, thanks Drake"
They walked up to a large stage area in front of the crowd. As more kids backed away and stared, Caine gave a triumphant smile and started speaking. "Hello, Perdido Beach!"
He made it sound so friendly that it was almost impossible to tell that there was an ulterior motive behind it.
"My friends and I have come down from. Coates Academy. We have heard about the strange occurrences that have just recently taken place in Perdido Beach and I wanted to let you know that it has affected our school too."
Murmurs broke out through the crowd in front of them. None of the kids in Perdido Beach knew that it had happened to other places as well. Maya saw a few side eye glances towards her, Diana and Drake.
"Anyway," Caine continued, signalling an end to the hushed whispers. " It appears you need a few people to take responsibility for this town." She smiled his seemingly innocent smile again.
A few people were nodding. Caine's words seemed to have an effect on the crowd. A kid stepped out of the throng of people.
"My name's Howard. Now I was just wondering- what exactly is the point of jobs in the FAYZ?"
Caine narrowed his eyes for a split second.Then he regained his composure and replied.
"Well-Howard, is it? We need jobs to keep ourselves all busy. We work together to make this place a better environment. What did you call this place again?"
Howard smirked proudly. "The FAYZ. Stands for Fallout Alley Youth Zone."
Caine smiled back. "Nice. We can use that kind of ingenuity in the protection of our community. Therefore, you can be part of the patrol force- with your friend."
Howard looked positively gleeful. He stepped back into the crowd.
"Ok, next we need a ...."
One by one, Maya watched as random kids were voted into a position of responsibility by their friends and peers alike.
Finally, Caine came to a conclusion with his list of jobs. "Now, all we need is a town protecter. Suggestions?"
Murmurs spread through the crowd again, this time louder. Many heads nodded. Then a single voice spoke up.
"We'd like to nominate Sam Temple."
The crowd parted slightly to reveal a tall, tanned and stunned boy. He looked around himself in shock.
Caine's shark like smile returned. "Okay then. Please raise your hand if you wish to vote for Mr Temple here." He gestured at Sam.
Maya counted the hands. 1,2,3,4- it stopped at about three quarters of the crowd.
Caine looked at the sea of hands below him, and grinned. "Well, then. I guess we have a winner." His cold eyes locked momentarily upon Sam's warm eyes.

Maya knew something bad was coming.

She could sense it.