Chapter Ten- Die Hard

Christmas Eve approaches, and it looks like it's the first one since I've moved to Salt Hill that I'll be spending without Danny. She still has yet to come home. I try to keep my mind off it, and be thankful she even gets to come home at all. But still, it couldn't come sooner.

Since I won't see her tomorrow, I pick up Cam and make her breakfast at my house so we can eat and give each other our presents. I ended up getting her a pair of earrings, a few books, and a gift card. But that didn't even compare to the tickets she got me for a music festival.

"Holy shit!" I exclaim, getting a dirty look from my mother as she washes dishes but a laugh from my dad as he watches us. "Cami, no! No!"

She laughs and leans back into her chair. "Will helped me pick them out. Which is why her and Julian are coming with."

I shake my head at her and lower my voice. How the hell did she afford this? "Cami... You shouldn't have done this."

"It's fine Ryan. Seriously."

I smile at her. "I love you."

She returns my grin. "I love you too."

I drive Cam home after that, kiss her deeply, and then let her go. I spend the rest of my Christmas Eve wrapping presents, baking cookies with Lily, and trying to keep my mind off of Danny. It doesn't matter how long she's been gone; I still can't stop thinking of her.

Every Christmas eve, she's come over and we sat on the couch under a blanket to watch a movie and drink hot chocolate. It usually ends up with Lily watching it with us so it has to be appropriate. Although, last year she was sick and stayed in her room, so we rented Die Hard.

"Good riddance," Danny mutters as a terrorist dies.

I pick up a piece of caramel corn from the popcorn tin between us and eat it. "How have you never seen this movie?"

"I don't know!" She exclaims, the back of her Santa hat swinging. "But I'm seeing it now and that's all that matters, right?"

"Whatever. At least you're enjoying it."

"I'll always enjoy these nights," shrwhispers and sips her drink.

I smile and move the popcorn tin to the coffee table in front of me where my feet rest upon. Throughout the movie, the den gets colder, darker, and has two tired teenagers struggling to stay awake. I watch as our drinks are drained and eyes grow tired. I'm almost about to fall asleep when I feel something pressing against my right side. Awake now, I look over. There's Danny, curled up under our blanket and leaning against me. She seems so small next to me. And was asleep. Not asleep—out. I've never seen her this tired before. I didn't blame her for falling asleep. I turn off the movie and blow out the candle, enveloping us in darkness. And blissfully, I put my arm around her shoulders and fall asleep.

When I wake up, there's a girl laying on me with her hand on my chest.

And this girl wasn't supposed to stay over the entire night.

"Danny wake up," I say quickly.

All I get is a groan.

"Danny!" I say a little louder, shaking her.

She springs up, her dark hair flying everywhere. "Shit."

We tumble off the couch and she scrambles away from me on the carpet, adjusting her clothes and breathing heavily. "What time is it?" She whisper-shouts.

I quickly check my phone and breathe a sigh of relief. "Eleven-thirty. You still have another half hour."

She smiles. "Thank God. Any later and Colt would've told on me and then I'd be grounded for the next month."