Imaginary

Confusion washed over the entirety of my being as I stared back at this smiling little creature.

I remembered vividly the darkness that enveloped me. I could still hear the agony in people's voices and the was of my "friends" from yesterday's funeral. I could still feel the flush of relief and relaxation that immediately embraced me as I felt my own coffin being taken down 6 feet under the ground. I knew it was over, it should have been.

I have already done my part. It was unfortunate that instead of congratulatory messages, I received "you will be missed" instead. I would never miss those experiences. I would never go back to them even. It was painful to see the world fall apart over and over, to see people of different generations and fit into them, to live in different eras and watch how everytime things evolved for both the better and the worst at the same time. I hated how I could remember everything as if it all happened yesterday. It was over, I told myself for the last time. I would finally rest in peace.

But why was I here now? Why was I staring back at a little creature with two pigtails on her hair?

"You're finally here!" the little girl exclaimed and she went to hug me tightly. I looked down at her. She let go of me and flashed me her innocent smile again.

"He told me that you would be coming," she revealed and pointed to the ceiling. I just now noticed the bright opening. I stood up and went right underneath it. I regretted it immediately as I only saw blinding brightness.

What in the world?

"He told me I won't be lonely anymore," the little girl excitedly revealed. "So I prepared a party for us to celebrate!"

"Lonely?" I asked, repeating the only word that I understood fairly well with her sentence.

She gasped, "You can talk!"

"Of course I can," I answered. I looked down on my white dress. It was surprisingly clean. I found a full-length mirror at the corner of the room so I walked towards there. I saw my reflection clearly. I looked the same as if my human flesh remained intact and was never decomposed. I looked very human once again.

Suddenly, I heard the door open. I look towards it and saw a woman walk in with her cellphone on her ear. The little girl squealed and embraced the woman.

"Honey," the woman began as she ended the call on her phone. "I heard you talking in here. Who are you talking to?"

The little girl then pointed at me who was still standing in front of the mirror. The woman looked towards my direction and smiled. I was taken aback. She could see me?

"Honey," the woman started again before standing up, ruffling the little girl's hair and making her way towards the door as her phone started ringing loudly and annoyingly.

"There's no one there."