Chapter 2

Squirrelstar cautiously padded across the clearing, Lionblaze beside her. She knew that Leafstar knew, but what about Rowanstar, Mistystar, and Onestar? Nervousness clung to her fur like honey. Would the other leaders approve of her leadership? Would one of her warriors try to fight her for their rightful justice? Squirrelstar pushed the thoughts away. ShadowClan was hurtling toward the tree like a pack of dogs. Rowanstar looked as if he was experienced with being leader, but Blackstar had just died, she had remembered seeing a glint of sleek white fur and black paws at her ceremony. "Let's hurry, I don't want ShadowClan to think we're slow." Lionblaze mewed, hurtling, Squirrelstar followed his nephew. Her clan not far behind her. Squirrelstar felt Lionblaze's air swish past her and he herded beside the tree branch, Squirrelstar leaped, and she was on the tree. Rowanstar blinked at her, "What happened?" he asked. "The storm." Squirrelstar answered. Rowanstar didn't answer, just sat up on his haunches. Onestar took a glance at her. "The gathering shall start!" Mistystar called. The cats went silent, below her was every cat she picked to come to the gathering. "Now that I've announced, RiverClan has been well, prey has been running, Icewing and Petalfur are expecting kits, and we are blessed with new apprentices, Lizardpaw, Havenpaw, and Perchpaw." Mistystar mewed. "Lizardpaw, Havenpaw, Perchpaw!" the cats below chanted. Squirrelstar flicked her tail, seeing a glint of light brown fur. It was Lizardpaw, staring awkwardly around the clearing. Mistystar looked approvingly at her. Squirrelstar dipped her head. "ThunderClan has been well, prey has been running, a Kittypet decided to join ThunderClan, young Frankie lost his brother, Benny in the flood, but he is willing to prove himself to this clan, welcome Stormpaw to ThunderClan, he isn't here, but welcome him once he's come." Leafstar dipped her head. "We welcome you as new leader of ThunderClan."

Squirrelstar blinked at Lionblaze. The golden tabby's eyes were heavy. "Are you alright?" She asked. "Tired." Lionblaze admitted. Squirrelstar couldn't help but agree, she was unusually tired this night. "Get some rest," Squirrelstar told her deputy. Lionblaze nodded, "You too." He bounded past her, meeting up with his brother, Jayfeather. Her belly tightened. I should talk to Leafpool, I'm not usually this tired. She bounded past her adopted kits, where the medicine den stretched along the warriors' den and apprentices' den.

"So, what did you say your symptoms were?" Leafpool asked, eyebrows furrowed. "I feel exhausted, and I'm tight everywhere, I- I feel it's just stress, but, you're a medicine cat, I am not." She told her sister, edging forward. Leafpool's white paws shifted. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, you have nine lives now." Leafpool reassured her. Squirrelstar hoped it was true, Leafpool was a medicine cat. "Get on your side," Said Leafpool after inspecting her, Squirrelstar's heart lurched. She gently crouched and let go of all the stress in her legs and lay on her side.

"You may not want to hear this after all your stress," Leafpool murmured. "I can handle it, I'm listening," Squirrelstar's heart lurched again. "You're expecting kits,"