Chapter 3

Squirrelstar opened her eyes, it had been a moon since Leafpool told her she was having kits, and Squirrelstar was feeling weak without Bramblestar to support her. She blinked. Squirrelstar felt a hint of guilt, she should've helped Bramblestar, it isn't my fault, she reminded herself, StarClan was calling him. She reared up on her haunches, stifling her rumbling stomach. I should get some prey before I patrol. She bunched her muscles in a stretch and brushed the lichen as she came out of the leaders' den, warm sunlight beaming on her dark orange pelt, outside, Stormcloud, a full-fledged warrior, was sharing prey with Lilypaw.  Millie sat lazily beside the elders' den, watching Dewpaw and Amberpaw being taught by the younger warrior, Snowbush how to climb. "Now, place your right paw on the branches, like this." he stretched out his thorn-sharp claws and sprung them into the wooden tree branches, Dewpaw and Amberpaw had strong haunches like a warrior's, Squirrelstar wondered when their mentors would give them their final assessment.

"Pay attention," Snowbush snorted as Amberpaw was flitting her gaze at Stormcloud and Lilypaw. "Okay, sorry, Snowbush." Millie scoffed, "This is ridicolous, we aren't from SkyClan, are we?" the silver tabby growled. "Just wait, you'll be amazed at what these talented apprentices can do." Snowbush answered sternly, "Now, lift your hind legs and get a steady balance, clinging your claws to the tree, be sure all legs are clung to the tree and scrabble." Snowbush explained, Dewpaw and Amberpaw's eyes were round with amusement. "What's the plan here? Catching squirrels, I suppose." Millie was an elder, a little snappy, but always had some kind words to say.

"Well, of course," Snowbush put in. "Don't be rude, Millie, these apprentices are almost warriors, I'm just teaching some extra skills here." He turned to the apprentices. "Whatever," Dewpaw stepped forward. "I'll try it first!" he mewed, padding over to where Snowbush was, blinking his bright blue eyes at him. "But I wanna do it!" Amberpaw hissed. "Calm down, there's plenty of time, it's morning." Snowbush meowed. Lilypaw had joined her denmate, watching Dewpaw cling his front and back claws onto the branches and climb his way up.

Brightheart shuffled her way out of the den, stretching and yawning, she had a watchful eye on her kits. "Snowbush, you sure this is safe?" She asked her former apprentice. "I'm sure as bile could when slipping into the river." Snowbush promised. "We're careful!" Dewpaw squeaked. The tom continued scrabbling up the tree. The gray-and-white tom lost his grip of his foreleg, "Uh oh!" He shrieked, slipping off the branches and collapsing to the ground, leg hitting hard on a stone.

Brightheart rushed to the apprentice's aid, "Dewpaw! Are you okay? Say something!" Her voice was shrill with fear. "Uh...Well...I fell..." Dewpaw had a leg limp. "What did I tell you about climbing trees, Dewpaw? Be careful." Brightheart scolded. "Haven't you've learned, Snowbush? Trees are a desperate hunting trick, not everyday!" Stormcloud hissed. "Sorry." The young warrior mumbled. "Come, I'll take you to Leafpool and Jayfeather." Brightheart's thick pelt disappeared with Dewpaw's.

Squirrelstar, though starving, ignored the hunger and headed out of camp. She craned her neck to let the warm scents of mice enter her jaws, extending her hunger more. The same heaviness licked at her again, I will just hunt, for now... Though she longed to check on RiverClan's flooding, I'll just look. She told herself, None will attack a queen, I'm sure. Squirrelstar crossed ThunderClan border, feeling damp scents of RiverClan fill her nostrils. "Now, the flooding isn't terrible, we'll just leave camp and set up refuge somewhere." A voice peered, though faint. Squirrelstar headed toward, careful not to disturb RiverClan.

In thick fog, Squirrelstar spotted the dark gray fur of Mistystar. "Refuge?" Lizardtail hissed, "Why? We're perfectly fine here!" his tabby pelt became more familiar as Squirrelstar edged closer. "Hush, Lizardtail," Reedwhisker mewed. "Mistystar's rules." Squirrelstar gulped, is RiverClan going against their leader? She thought, horror edging her. "I have to agree the flooding isn't bad," Reedwhisker added.  "Perhaps," Mistystar meowed. "now, Minnowtail, Havenpelt, gather stones along the entrance, we have to block the flooding." Mistystar mewed. Squirrelstar crouched, I'll ask next gathering. She thought.