040 ; basilisk

dam dawg i'm really zooming through this story-

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

YOU GRAB THE FLOWERS FROM THE JAR BESIDE HERMIONE'S BED, REPLACING THEM WITH A BOUQUET OF PINK ROSES.

pink roses representing happiness or trust in someone, you spread them out to make them look neat and take a seat on the edge of her bed.

"wish you were here, hermione" harry sighs out.

you hear a meow from your feet, you look down and tilt your head, "himiko?"

she jumps up, settling herself on hermione's stomach.

"we need you. now more than ever" harry says quietly, rubbing his thumb over the back of hermione's hand before looking down in confusion.

you look at him as he takes something out of hermione's hand ; a piece of paper.

he un-scrunches it and you lean over to take a peek.

"what's that?" ron asks.

"ron, [name]..."

you look up at him.

"this is why hermione was in the library the day she was attacked. come on!"

you tilt your head in confusion but follow after him anyways, you run through a few hallways before you slow down.

" 'of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land'.." harry reads aloud from the piece of paper he took from hermione's hand.

"..'none is more deadly than the basilisk. capable of living for hundreds of years... instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpents' eye. spiders flee before it' ron, [name], this is it! the monster in the chamber of secrets is a basilisk!"

your lips part and you nod.

"that's why i can hear it speak. it's a snake!"

it all makes sense..

"but if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?"

your eyes widen, "that's because no one did look it in the eye!"

you look to the window, seeing all of your reflections.

harry nods, "not directly, at least"

you start walking again, "colin saw it through his camera" harry says, you nod along.

"justin.. justin must have seen the basilisk through nearly headless nick! nick got the full blast of it. but he's a ghost, he couldn't die again"

"and hermione had the mirror" you finish, referring back to the silver mirror mcgonagall had showed you all.

"she must have been using it to look around corners just in case it or a teacher came along!"

"and mrs. norris?" ron says, "i'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror, harry, [name]"

you mentally facepalm, "no, ron. there was water all over the floor, remember? she must have seen it using the water!"

ron nods in recognition.

harry looks at the paper again, walking over to the fire with you following close behind.

" 'spiders flee before it' " he reads again, "it all fits!"

"how's a basilisk been getting around? a dirty, great snake. someone would have seen it!"

"hermione's answered that too" harry gestures down to the writing at the bottom of the page, 'pipes'.

"pipes? it's using the plumbing" you all look up.

"remember what aragog said, about that girl 50 years ago? she died in a bathroom? what if she never left?"

you nod slowly.

"moaning myrtle"

"all students are to return to their house dormitories at once" mcgonagall's voice rings through the speakers.

"all teachers to the second floor corridor immediately"

you all exchange glances before rushing over to the second floor corridor.

you run down the hall, mcgonagall's voice ringing in your ears.

"as you can see, the heir of slytherin has left another message. our worst fear has been realized"

you all stand by the corner, silently peeking around.

"a students has been taken by the monster into the chamber itself" she says fearfully.

"the students must be sent home.  i'm afraid this is the end of hogwarts" she shakes her head.

you roll your eyes as lockhart strolls over, completely unaware of what mcgonagall has just said.

"so sorry. dozed off. what have i missed?" he asks with a carefree grin.

"a girl has been snatched by the monster, lockhart. your moment has come at last" snape says.

you nearly snigger at lockharts bewildered expression, "m-my m-moment?" he stammers, shocked with snapes words.

"weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the chamber of secrets is?"

"that's settled. we'll leave you to deal with the monster, gilderoy" mcgonagall says, holding back a smile.

"your skills, after all, are legend"

lockhart gulps, "very well" he chuckles, "i'll just be in my office, getting uh.. getting ready" he nods.

madam pomfrey looks at mcgonagall worriedly, "who is it that the monsters taken, minerva?"

mcgonagall gulps slightly, "ginny weasley"

your eyes go slightly wide, ron lets out a quiet gasp.

all the teachers walk away, revealing the text written on the wall.

"her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.." ron says quietly, "ginny.."

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

words ; 777

date posted ; 03/04/22

©_behindyou_