Chapter 3

My alarms starts blaring and scares me awake. My book is opened up on my chest. I guess I fell asleep while still reading. I look at the time.

"DAMMIT" I yell. I grab some clothes and throw them on and put my hair in a messy bun. My class started at 7:30am and it's 8:00 and I'm late. No time for the coffee shop this morning. I run downstairs and trip on my feet a few times. My mom has coffee made thankfully. I know, a college kid living with their parents still. I hate dorms and I love privacy.

"What are you still doing here? I thought you left already" my mom says.

"Nope still here and late" I say as I fill up a cup with coffee.

"Thanks mom see you later bye" I say and run to my car.

I live about 10 miles from my college so staying home wasn't a bad idea. Just until I can start making real money and get my own place.

I head to class and run in very loudly I might add. The whole class turns around and stares at me.

"Sorry" I say embarrassed with red cheeks.

"Please sit Ms. Parks. You're 30 minutes late so ask a friend for notes" my professor says.

"Thank you sir and I'm very sorry for the interruption" I say while pointing at the door.

Everybody turns back around focused on the professor again. I grab my books from my bag and a girl hands me a paper with notes and smiles at me.

"Thank you so much" I whisper.

"Of course. Don't worry about it. I've been late a few times too" she says laughing.

"I'm usually never late but I overslept this morning. What's your name?"

"Rebecca" she says smiling.

"Well, hi Rebecca. I'm Ellie"

"It's nice to meet you" she says.

I start copying from the paper she gave me, and I hand it back before class is over.

"There will be an essay about love and hurt and how those two words make you feel personally. There's no right or wrong way to write this. I expect everybody to have it in two days so get to work. It will be 30% of your grade in this class" the professor says.

I grab all of my things and put them in my bag and decide I want something to eat. I head over to the cafeteria and bump into Jackson of all people.

"Drunk again I see" he says while smirking at me.

He just has a way of making me mad. I'm not sure what it is about him, but I don't like him at all.

"Excuse me Jackson. I'm pretty hungry and you're in my way" I say.

"Hey! You bumped into me Ellie" he laughs again.

"How do you know my name?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it. I get information when I need it"

"What kind of information could you possibly need on me?" I ask

"Don't worry about that either. See you around and watch where you walk Ellie" he says sarcastically while laughing and walks away.

He just makes me so mad. He's so arrogant.

I walk to the cafeteria and see Sierra sitting down with food already. I grab a sandwich and a water and sit with her.

"Stupid Jackson is so arrogant and makes me so angry" I say as soon as I sit down.

"Well hello to you too Ms.crankypants" she says.

"I'm sorry. I just ran into Jackson, and he is just such an ass" I say.

"Well, that's what he's kind of known for. He's mean to everybody and acts like he doesn't care about anything".

"Why is he like that?" I ask.

"Nobody knows because nobody can get close enough to him. He only hangs out with a crowd of equally arrogant people and they're not the sentimental kind of people to talk about their lives" Sierra says.

"Well, the next time I see him, I'm going to confront him about being so rude. He doesn't even know me enough to treat me that way. I'm a good person" I say and Sierra laughs.

"Well, you better start confronting because there he is" she says pointing to a table with a bunch of intimidating looking people.

"Shit" I say under my breath. I should have looked around for him before opening my big mouth.