Laying

After her and Summit had breakfast, Embryo figured there was not much to be done for the rest of the day but just wait. She didn't know what time her egg would come, but until then, what else could she do?

She wasn't sure that waiting around doing nothing was how she wanted to spend her last few hours as herself not yet disillusioned to the reality of what a dragon could experience, but she was still in her state of fatigue, and she couldn't find it in her to do much. They always said not to swim on a full stomach, and her stomach was very, very full. The thought didn't help, if she couldn't even find the energy to walk down the beach, how was she going to be able to have enough to lay the egg?

She didn't even feel much anxiety anymore, just a deep dark sadness setting in at the bottom of her stomach, a sadness that this was who she was, that she would face this, that this couldn't be any other way. Perhaps it was a mercy that her anxiety was gone, to fear what you're about to face, yet facing it anyway was a horrible fate. At this point, at least she could face it without having to get worked up over what she was in for.

But as the day wore on and the Sun made its way across the sky, first rising up to its peak, then beginning to sink low into the sky on the far horizon, distributing it's warmth evenly across the sand, some of Embryo's anxiety returned. Was the egg coming today? What was taking it so long? Why can't it come already? Just let it come be over with. She shook with emotion. Just do it. Make me scream and suffer like a girl, like the weak victim of a girl I am. Because that's all I am, an Egg Laying girl. Just let it be done.

Embryo rubbed her face with her talons. Her stomach was feeling stretched, she couldn't take any more of this. She needed to lay down and curl up and relieve the tension. She could almost imagine her stomach rupturing from the tension, and she could not handle that thought at the moment.

Wait, so much tension... Embryo looked around desperately, suddenly aware of what was about to happen. She could feel it coming on and she began to panic, her body was not ready to brace itself for what was about to happen. No, please don't, please.

And then the contractions hit her, the tension she felt inside her exploded as if her insides had ripped into a million shreds.

She had wondered what type of pain could completely level a dragon, make them scream as if they couldn't tolerate another second of their existence, no matter how great they believed the cause, no matter how many times they had experienced it before and knew what to expect. Embryo had imagined as much pain as she could imagine, and even tried to picture worse than that, but it was nothing compared to this. She had always imagined a pain measured on a scale, now she realized, if pain could be infinite, this was not far off. While not quite there, it was just as unquantifiable, as infinity is such an abstract concept, so too is the infinite pocket of numbers that are only a portion of infinity, that dividing it up into a half, a quarter, an eighth, even a millionth will leave you with an amount significantly less than infinity, but just as unquantifiable. This was pain that could not be calculated into solid measurements, the most the most unfathomable, unbearable agony the Universe could muster upon her, each contraction so sharp it penetrated through her very being straight into her Soul. And even these words alone were not enough to even come close to comprehending what she was going through.

She couldn't do it, she couldn't help it, screams of pure agony erupted from her throat. She couldn't stop it, even if she tried. She threw herself onto her back twisting from side to side with great ferocity, her wings twisting underneath her weight. When one is faced with something of extreme pain such as a knife or flame or something, their first instinct is to pull themselves away to prevent the pain from penetrating further into their body. But Embryo couldn't escape this pain, because the pain was already in her body, penetrating as deep as it could go. Embryo jerked her head back and screamed with everything she had in her.