Chapter 3

Deceiving Looks

Chapter 3

—-

"Sweetheart, are you sure you don't want to borrow any clothes", Mrs. Peterson warily asked me again, handing me a cup of hot chocolate with whip cream and a dash of cinnamon. Just the way I like it.

"No thanks, Momma Petes", I grinned. Normally she would have scolded me for calling her that- she absolutely hated it. Said it reminded her of her old high school principal, who, in her own words, 'probably gave birth to the devil himself'. But she was too busy worrying about me, or rather my appearance.

My shirt was torn at the side, my hair was no longer in a neat ponytail but rather in a clump on my head, I was soaked with dirty street water and I was missing a shoe. But I hadn't stopped smiling since this morning.

Okay, lets backtrack. Why did I have a I-just-spent-the-whole-night-as-a-werewolf-and-didn't-have-time-to-change look? Well simple really. My day was a disaster. But I was still smiling like I had won the lottery.

After JD surprised me with the tickets I had gone to Home Ec. The class was boring, as usual. Mrs. Lancaster, my teacher, usually spent too many days on the same topic. If I could, I would've switched out of that class. Unfortunately for me, the class became a requirement for all students, starting with my year.

The school I went to, West Falls, wasn't your typical public high school. It was sort of like a mix between a public school and a private school. They followed the curriculum given by the state and county, but always added something of their own to give it "pazazz".

We rode normal school buses and had this special uniform we wore once a month, when the superintendent payed us a visit. Our campus was huge, much bigger than the average high school. West Falls prided themselves in "giving your children the most pristine education. We promise to make them fine adults by graduation day" (seriously thats a direct quote from last years brochure).

Hence the reason that they keep adding requirements. They added Home Ec because they wanted to assure parents that their kids would be able to live on their own once they move away, and what parent wouldn't support that?

Anyways, I was taking a nap during Home Ec, very lowkey if I do say so myself, when Class President Trisha Hall decided to make snarky comments about me behind my back, literally. She sits behind me in class.

Trisha was a dark-toned girl with short, curly hair. She was pretty to look at, but ugly at heart. We used to be friends in middle school until a rumor broke out that I wanted her boyfriend. And ex boyfriend. And brother. Even her cousin.

I don't know who started it and how it stopped, but it died down fairly quickly and was soon forgotten. Except by Trisha, who never even spoke to me about it before she cut me off completely. I'm not too sad about it though, the people she hangs with now have sticks up their rear ends. Talk about uptight.

Anyhow she kept making snide remarks about how my shirt was raised and showed skin (my thumb was wider than the amount of skin showing), how it looked like I had just rolled out of bed, how I probably wore this shirt because it showed cleavage and I hadn't had attention in a while, and she even went as far as saying, "Is that dried drool on her cheek? Gross, I bet she hasn't properly cleaned herself in days".

All the while, I was fighting the urge to not smile at her weak attempts to get a reaction from me. Of course, her little minions laughed along with what she was saying, even though it wasn't that funny.

Friggin' hyenas.

I grew tired of their laughing, so I tilted my head back and said, "It still appalls me that you are unable to find any type of solid insults to throw at me. Then again, I don't remember a time where you could throw solid insults at anybody. It's just not in your nature. Stop trying to be something you clearly are not".