05.

chapter five: the most fun

present

I'M DREADING WHAT I'm about to do, but it's going to be the best thing in terms of what is going on right now. He is, unfortunately, the only one who can help me.

I knock once and the door opens slightly, only to be slammed shut again almost instantly. If I were a sane, non-past idiot person, I would've walked away. But I didn't.

"Come on, Jimin. It's cold."

"The door's open." His voice sounds slightly -only slightly- slurred and I take it that he'd been drinking before I arrived.

"Then why did you shut it again?"

Silence. Typical Jimin behaviour.

I walk in, taking off my shoes before making my way into his spacious living room. His body is spread generously on his couch, a tall glass of an unknown substance on his mini table as his eyes absent-mindedly stare into the screen of his large television.

"You're still in your clothes from work," I remark.

"And you're not my mother." I watch him pick up the glass, taking large gulps till he finished it.

"This is unhealthy. You can't keep doing this to yourself." I glance around, noting the unfolded laundry on his couch, the unwashed dishes piling up and the dusty floors.

He ignores me once more and I take the opportunity to have a little fun while being firm.

"What are you doing- OW! Stop!"

"Not until you get up."

"Alright!" He yelps once more before I let go of his hair, a glare plastered on his face.

"Go get dressed properly and cleaned up. I'll begin and you can join me later on."

He, as expected, obeys and slowly trudges upstairs.

His house isn't necessarily a pigsty, but it seems he just isn't feeling himself because knowing Jimin, he is the neatest neat freak around.

He comes back downstairs almost immediately, with a comfortable clothing set and his hair pushed back with a headband.

We get to work as soon as possible, with him actually doing most of the work. At the end of it all, we both decide on having a drink.

"You know," he muses, pouring us both equal amounts. "You never told me why you came to my house. This is the first time I'm seeing you in a while."

I huff, not wanting to have to answer this question in particular, but going for it either way. "Someone is planning wants to frame your company."

"What? This isn't a time for jokes, Nari."

"And I'm not going to stop them."

"Okay, you're going too fast. You say someone wants to frame my company? For and with what exactly?"

"It doesn't concern me enough to know that much." I shrug.

"You aren't making any sense. Someone wants to frame my company, which is -quite frankly- pretty serious and you come all the way to my house to tell me about it, only to let me know you don't want to help me out?"

"I guess." I take a large gulp of wine. "To be honest, this is something we should talk about when I'm not tipsy or being stupid."

He chuckles. It's brief and humourless. "I think that you're lying to me."

"No, actually. I'm not."

"Yes, you are. I know you, Nari. Just s-"

"My boyfriend is cheating on me." I finally blurt.

"Makes better sense." He nods once and it's his turn to take a swig. "Until it doesn't. What the hell is this all about? What does that have to do with anything whatsoever? Are you telling me the truth or not? Oh wait, are you here to stall their 'evil plan'?"

"Of course not. If not for what happened today, I wouldn't be here or even at arms' length with you." I say.

"I could say the same. Forgiven not forgotten." He responds stiffly.

"Neither."

"I told you I didn't do it. It's weird considering I'm still talking to you after you blatantly accused me and shunned me."

"I never said you did." I retort, shaking my head.

"Yeah, but you keep blaming me for it. How many times do you want me to try to fix things?"

"That's what I'm saying. You don't have to."

He pauses, then, quite solemnly, says, "What if I want to?"

I roll my eyes and push myself off the couch, moving to the kitchen so I can grab a glass of water. As I turn around to lean on the tabletops, I'm startled by his figure standing near me, hands resting on the counter.

"Leave me alone. This is getting weird now."

He's leaning closer to me now and now I have zero space to back up.

"Would it be lying if I said I miss what we used to have?"

"That's up to you- Jimin, stop!" I squeal..

He keeps on trying to reach for my face, a small smile appearing on his every time I dodged him.

I locate a cool glass of half-sipped water with melting ice cubes in it and reach for it immediately.

"Where are you-"

He interrupts himself with a loud, quite feminine scream. I successfully chucked the water on him, specifically on his face.

I drop the glass and make a run for it, trying to suppress laughter as my bare feet hit the cold, wooden floorboards.

Jimin's manic laughter containing planned revenge follows and as I reached a bedroom upstairs, crouching under the bed, I can't help but feel nostalgic. This has to be the most fun I've had since I was in juvie.

From the gap, I spot his pale feet stumbling about as he attempts to be quiet in his search for me.

It makes me giggle more, so as I try to remain quiet, I fail to notice Jimin's grinning face.

"A ha! I HAVE YOU NYOW!"

As the jumpy person I am, I hit my head.

"Oh shoot, I'm sorry. You okay?" He asks, helping me out.

"Yeah, I think I am." I rub the sore spot on my head and am about to ask if he could help when I feel a shove and land on the bed lined with white and black sheets.

"What are you-"

I'm cut off abruptly when his lips meet mine but he pulls away when he realises how shocked I am.

As he opens his mouth to speak again, darkened features set on his mature face when the phone rings and saves me from the awkward tension.

"Hello?" he seems to have sobered up and looked away from me. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Is everything okay?"

He turns to me now, now obviously retreating to the point of sobriety.

"Get out."