Chapter 5

Coffee

After talking with Demetri's secretary, I tried to patiently sit still on the chair- afraid that I might cross an uncrossable line. I don't want to push my luck and kiss goodbye my future with Demetri. As a philosopher once said: "slowly but surely."

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting." The voice stopped me from drifting too deep into my dreamland. I opened my eyes and saw Demetri undoing his tie. Good grief, Demetri is the view that I want to see every time I open my eyes.

"You good? or do you need time to relax before going to our appointment?"

"Coffee. I need coffee," I said and tucked the strand of hair into my ear. I hope my hair does not look like a bird's nest right now cause I've been too relaxed that I even doze off.

Demetri walked towards his desk and gently clicked the speakerphone to speak. "Can you get me two coffees?"

Damn, I could even see the veins popping on his hands.

"Is that all?" Bother to have biscuits?" he asked.

"I'm fine, but I want milk in my coffee."

He nodded and requested his secretary to add milk to my coffee.

"I'm just curious," I said and tried to sit properly. "I know we're just in this arrangement because of my parents, but are we going to sleep in the same room? like a normal couple?"

I truly did not intend to blurt that out. It was supposed to be just a thought! The question made me look... very interested in bedding him. I cleared my throat in an attempt to brush off the shame I was feeling.

"What I meant is, perhaps I should know the details about our marriage to know what to expect. Yes, that's what I meant."

I heard him click his tongue, and I could see the sly half-smirk appearing. "I must say I did not predict that you would be thrilled to be sharing a bed with me, Sky."

"Of course, I'm not!" I utter defensively.

"Do you?" I saw him sitting on his swivel chair, arranging a few documents. "Sorry to inform you, but this marriage ain't fake. So, expect me to tire you at night."

WHAT. WAIT WHAT? I think I don't need my coffee now, I'm already wide awake!

I nervously chuckled. "I didn't know you were a joker."

"I'm not kidding, Sky. We will sleep in one bed. I'm not planning to be a cheating husband when I have a wife who can satisfy me. Why? are you uncomfortable with that type of setup?"

"Definitely not! I'm fine with this.." I gulped, "setup."

"Don't tell me I would be the first to-"

I cut him off to save myself from embarrassment since I already knew what he was trying to say. "Certainly not. Of course, a woman like me should have a few experiences." I don't have a single experience because I don't believe in sex without love, and now I regret it.

"Then, I'll be expecting a great performance from you."

"Sorry?" that caused me to stand up. Yes, I'm too animated when talking to him.

"But then again, I could do all the work. I'm confident you'll be pleased." He wasn't wearing a serious expression but a teasing smile playing on his lips. It's no doubt I want to hasten the wedding preparations. Who wouldn't when this man is such a tease. What happened to the sweet innocent Sky that I knew?

"You sounded like a playboy. You must have broken plenty of hearts." I said and sat again—my right hand placed on my chest, trying to calm the drum-like beats on it.