Chapter 6

I grab a knife and run as fast as I can away from the cornucopia when Karthik comes and blocks my path to the forest. He is holding a sword. "Please--no!" I say. But he lifts up the sword and swings down--

I wake up screaming, drenched in sweat. Portenia walks up to me and says casually "good. You're up. Your interview is in 3 hours." He throws me a recently dry cleaned suit into my lap. I look at him still groggy from the mourphling.

"You missed it. They reaped a new girl." He says.

"Who?"

"Gloria Flickerman. The daughter of Caesar Flickerman"

"I know who she is" I say with a voice that is barely mine after being asleep all that time. I clear my throat. "Great. I bet she and Snow are gonna make an alliance."

"You're probably right" says Portenia. "Who wouldn't want to see well known relatives of famous capitol people team up? Get in your suit. The interview is in--"

"3 hours. I know."

"Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the couch." He states, then walks away.

I get up and mindlessly get in the suit. It is so tight I can barely feel the lower half of my body. Then I sit and look out the window at the city spreading out in all directions with no end that I can see.

Time flies by and Portenia comes in, smiles, and says "Showtime!"

I get up and walk out the door. "So who is replacing Caesar?" I ask, because obviously he is too upset after the reaping of his daughter.

He sighs, then says "President Paylor."

I smile and think to myself: Perfect.