FLORENCE: A Walk in the Park

The park was full of people. Bustling. The rain had clearly kept everyone in and the moment it had stopped and the sun had made its appearance, it appeared all of the people who had been cooped up had immediately stepped outside to get some fresh air. Not that the air was particularly fresh, the rain had somewhat helped to clear it but the smog still lingered above the city like a perennial dark cloud. 

I saw him almost instantly. Standing amongst a small crowd of young ladies. Matthew was handsome, there was no denying it, but his arrogance had grown with his looks over the years and the aspects of him that I used to love had become unbearable. As if sensing my arrival, he looked up and directly into my eyes. He nodded at me, his dark hair moving in the slight breeze, a twinkle in his eye as he then looked down to continue speaking. As if on cue, my mother stepped out of the carriage and joined me, also glancing over to where Matthew stood, her mouth curling downwards slightly at the corners in a slight frown. “Why must he do this?” She muttered, taking my arm and leading me down the path that led around the green areas in the park. 

We walked in silence until we reached the area in which Matthew was standing, surrounded. I did not want to stop but mother held tight onto my arm and lingered just outside of the ladies that encircled him. “Ah, Florence, so nice to see you up and about.” He strolled over, a gap forming between the ladies, their expressions becoming ugly as they realised their flirtatious afternoon had abruptly come to an end. Matthew took my arm from mother, bowed to her and then walked forward with me, slowing himself down to match my pace. While I no longer felt particularly poorly, the flu had caused me to weaken and I didn’t want to overdo it and be unable to do anything for weeks and weeks more. “So, your mother is keeping an eye on me then.” Matthew stated, glancing over to meet my eyes before once again looking ahead. 
“Yes. She is. The doctor told me I must have more bedrest but alas, mother felt it more necessary to check that you weren’t flirting with the entirety of the ladies within London.” I retorted, a sudden feeling of irritation washing over me. I did not want to be here; I did not want him to holding his arm and I did not want to have this conversation with him. We were both in agreement that should we be able to choose, it would not be each other. 
“Florence,” he sighed, pulling me to one side and stopping before taking both of my hands in his, “We know the reality of this, everyone else knows we are promised to one another. Whatever we think of this, it is going to happen. We have to accept it.” He looked dejected, a snapshot into how he truly felt. It wasn’t just me. 
“I know...I know that Matty, honestly, I do.” I looked up at him, his brown eyes looking at me earnestly. It was like looking at the boy I once knew and for a second, part of me felt like it wouldn’t be so bad being married to him. 
“Matty,” He laughed, “I haven’t heard you call me that in some time.” He smiled again, taking my arm and walking forward. 

There were chairs set up around the bandstand in the middle of the park. I couldn’t tell if the bandstand had always been there or if it were temporary. Despite spending much of this year in London as opposed to Arthurton Manor, a lot of that time had been spent indoors or going to formal events with Matthew. He was to become a Marquess once his father died and, in his father’s words, ‘he must begin to behave like one’. Matthew gestured to a chair, I sat down slowly, still feeling weak. He sat next to me, pulling a piece of paper out of his pocket and showing it to me. “They’re playing at two so we’ll watch it and then I’ll take you home.” He put the piece of paper back and stared straight ahead at the bandstand. “You don’t look well Florrie.” He said quietly. “And I’m not saying this because I don’t want you here but...I do think you should have stayed home today.” He turned to look at me, concerned. 
“I don’t feel good.” I confessed, slumping in my chair, “I would much rather be home but mother...well you know how she can get.” He smiled at my sympathetically, taking my hand and holding it companionably.  
“It’ll be over soon.” He said, smiling at me before scanning the immediate area. I dropped his hand instantly, feeling myself getting sucked in once again by his charm.  
“We are not friends, Matthew.” I muttered, staring straight ahead. 
“You’ve made that perfectly clear over the years Florence, don’t you worry.” He replied before standing up. “I think I’ll call your carriage, you’re not well.” And with that he strolled away, gesturing to the coachmen to come and fetch me and take me home.