Chapter Nineteen

11 Years Ago

"You'll be sleeping upstairs with me for the rest of our stay," Zhuliu says, as Jiang Cheng is clearing the dishes from the dinner he made. A simple chicken and rice stir fry. He made his light on the sauce so as to not upset his already troubled stomach. Jiang Cheng isn't surprised by the declaration, but he still has to school his face to not visibly grimace. He'll do what he has to to keep his unborn child, Wen Ning, and Mo Xuanyu safe.

"As you wish," Jiang Cheng says.

"Now let's put Ning and Xuanyu to bed."

Jiang Cheng walks Ning and Xuanyu down the stairs and is surprised to find bed rolls layed out with pillows and blankets. "We're going to be here a few more days than planned. The chains remain."

"I'll bring you up for breakfast in the morning," Jiang Cheng promises, looking at Zhuliu as he says it. Zhuliu nods in agreement.

"I need to speak with you," Wen Chao says to Zhuliu when they make it back upstairs.

"Go wait in the bedroom."

Jiang Cheng closes the door but presses his ear against it, calling on Sandu's better hearing to be able to eavesdrop.

"What are you doing? Father said we don't need my cousin and the Jin bastard anymore. Why not kill them and get it over with?" Wen Chao hisses at Zhuliu.

"You've always been too impulsive and impatient to know how to play the long game."

"That's why what you're doing now, playing house, is so baffling! Your unhealthy obsession with the Jiang wolf is making you soft."

The crack of skin on skin is loud in the quiet house. "What the fuck, Zhuliu? If my father..."

Zhuliu sneers at the man cradling his cheek in shock. "Your father exiled and renounced you as his son. If I were to snuff you out right now I'd be doing him a favor."

"You wouldn't dare! You have to protect me," Wen Chao sputters, incredulously.

"My loyalty is to Wen Ruohan's son, which you no longer are. I suggest that you spend the rest of our time here relaxing in your room, keeping your opinions to yourself. As my last duty to Wen Ruohan I will deliver you safely to your new home. Don't test my patience, Chao," Zhuliu threatens.

"Fuck you," Wen Chao mutters, as he slinks away to his room.

Jiang Cheng steps away from the door with his hand over his rapidly racing heart. That confirms his and Wen Ning's suspicions. Wen Ning and Mo Xuanyu won't be traveling with them. It also makes him worried about Wen Qing. If Ning and Xuanyu are no longer needed to keep Wen Qing in line, does that mean Wen Rouhan did something to her? He never expected Wen Zhuliu to turn on Wen Chao like that. Wen Chao never treated Zhuliu more than a loyal dog, but that's what Zhuliu was to the family, a loyal dog. Now that Wen Chao is no longer a "Wen", that loyalty has shifted. Jiang Cheng doesn't know how that bodes for him.

Jiang Cheng hurries to the bed and lies down on his side. He shuts his eyes and evens his breathing out as the door opens and closes. He keeps his eyes shut when the bed dips and an arm goes around his waist. At the feel of metal tightening around his chest his eyes snap open.

"What are you doing?"

"Chaining you to the bed. I can't worry about you sneaking off while I'm sleeping." The chain is wrapped around his chest a few times before cuffs are locked around his wrists. A connecting chain is then secured around a slot in the headboard.

"I won't..."

"Shh...shh...shh don't lie. I'm not stupid, little wolf. I know you're planning your escape in that pretty head of yours," Zhuliu says.

Jiang Cheng barks out a laugh. "Do you blame me?"

The kiss to the nape of his neck makes him gnash his teeth together. "Not at all. If you weren't pregnant I'd encourage your bad behavior because I enjoy the chase, but I truly don't want to hurt you."

"You don't want to hurt me?" Jiang Cheng mutters, tugging on the chains that lock him to the bed. "You terrorized my family and took me from my mates. You plan on becoming my alpha and selling my child and you don't want to hurt me? Bastard!"

"I'm going to make you forget them. You're going to be happy with me, I promise."

Jiang Cheng holds back the scream he wants to let out but doesn't stop the tears from falling.