XI

Jeanne had run off with Vanitas, and then Noe had run off after them, leaving Domi to quickly follow. The only difference was that Domi actually tried to be discrete about leaving by using the front door, but it didn't make it any less obvious that she was desperate to see what Noe had run after the two for.

It's funny, actually, seeing other people run after the ones they love. Seeing Jeanne and Vanitas fight over their feelings - I could bet on how long it would take them to finally come to terms with what the beating in their hearts truly meant when they laid eyes upon each other.

But at the same time... it was lonely. I was envious.

"Hey... um, miss Ariel?"

"Yes, Luca?" I replied gently, smiling down at him, "Everyone ran off somewhere, huh? I know we're not close, but I'll look after you until Jeanne gets back. Is there anywhere you'd like to run off to as well?"

"N-not exactly!" He sputtered, blushing in nervousness, "I'm fine just staying here with you."

He lead me down the hall, probably to somewhere we could talk in silence, "Something on your mind?" I urged as he fiddled with his shirt.

"Yes, actually. Um, what's it like to fall in love with someone?"

Oh dear.

Keep it together, don't say something you'll regret.

I hummed in thought to pretend like I was thinking of how to answer, even though I already knew.

Horrifying.

"Your blood is really blue." I muttered, looking at the cloth as I rinsed it in the water. In the moonlight, it looked like it was glowing, and it was so different from the red blood of a humans that stained water the color of mud. I couldn't help but feel as if I had met an angel.
But I knew he was just another vampire.
"Does it startle you?"
"Not really." I mumbled, turning back to him to dab at the stab wound on his hand. I paused half way, though, just staring at it. Now that I had cleaned all the access blood off of his palm I could see how the wound was already closing up.
"Actually," I announced, "It's a lot easier to handle than red blood. Maybe, because I'm so used to it being red... the blue color doesn't make me feel the same fear."
"Interesting." He beamed gently, smiling as I stood straight and dropped the cloth back in the bowl of water,
"Wait." He called out as I went to bring the bowl back to the kitchen, "You're injured as well."
I sighed. I set the bowl down and he stood, walking over to me slowly. He was much taller standing up, but I never really felt like he was looking down on me.
He took my hands in his and bent down so he could stare into my eyes.
"Can I kiss them better?"
I blushed, I never should have taught him that phrase!
"It's just a few small cuts and some bruises. They aren't even that big!" I insisted, "Besides, that boys fever - we shouldn't leave them unsupervised in case-"
"It's alright." He soothed, "I'll hear if they wake."
Looking back into his eyes, I felt my heart racing. It's the same race that I felt my mind was running when I was in the midst of a tense battle, not sure if my plan would be able to pull through. There was a tiny difference from that to this, though, and it was that Luna had never hurt me, he'd never even tried to look scary to chase me away. Instead, he threw himself on me crying and laughing, thanking me when I offered to let him stay at this old cottage house whenever he wanted to.
Luna had only ever showered me with a pure, everlasting love of just being near to him. My presence made him smile, and his presence made me smile.
It all was horrifying, because I really was falling in love with not just any vampire, but the vampire of the Blue Moon, the Vanitas. I was afraid because I felt like I knew our fate from the beginning, but I clung to him because he was the only one I felt who'd believe me when I told him that vampires and humans were both equally evil. I hated both, and I didn't mind that hate. I'd hate everyone but him, because he stood in the middle with me.