Chapter 1

I had my head resting on the window watching the fields roll pass as we drove from Nashville to the family farm in Lexington, Kentucky. We'd been in the racing and breeding business forever, or at least that's what Grandad always said. We bred champions, that's what Daddy said. But me, I just loved the animals. The grace, elegance and strength that these giants were famous for, or at least ours were. I'd grown up around horses. In fact, Daddy liked to tell of how I was able to ride before I could even walk. It was probably true. Most days I preferred the company of the horses over the company of young women my age.

"Dallas don't slouch. It's unbecoming of a lady." My mother scolded from her spot in the front next to daddy.

"Yes, Mother." I say before sitting back in my seat, my hands folded perfectly in my lap like the young debutante my mother tried to raise me to be. I see her nod and it takes every ounce of patience the good lord bestowed upon me to not roll my eyes.

We turned down the dirt road that led back to the Rhodes Family Racing Farm and all the prestige that came with that. I was anxious to get out and settle in with the mares who would be foaling in the coming weeks. "Dallas! I will not tell you again. Sit like a lady." My mother yells at me.

I do roll my eyes this time but she doesn't catch it. I was looking forward to this summer. Mother had her high society friends and their many events and besides some dinner parties, I would be free to do as I pleased. Which typically meant helping Daddy with the babies and going to the races.

Daddy pulls the car up beside the house and I'm out before the engine is even off. "Dallas!" Mother yells but I'm gone, making a beeline for the stable, eager to see my babies. I was already dressed for the barn, much to Mother's displeasure. I head to our main stallion's stall, Galileo's Comet. I lovingly referred to him as Leo.

He was a big horse, 16 and a half hands and black as night. He was high-spirited, a retired race horse, a big winner for our family. Most were afraid of him but he'd been my favorite since the day he was born when I was 8. He'd long since retired from racing and now he was siring the next generation of racers. "Hey boy." I whisper, petting him down, working my fingers through his mane, getting the kinks out.

"I wouldn't be in there if I were you. He's a bit temperamental." Came a voice from the outside the stall. Walking into view was a boy, my age, with the brightest blue eyes.

"I'm well aware. I've raised him up from a foal. I'm perfectly safe in here. But you might want to watch that hand." I say, pointing to where Leo was getting ready to nip him.

"Cut it out." He says to the horse. "So exactly who are you?"

"Dallas Rhodes! Come and take your things up to your room right now!" I hear my mother yell from outside.

"That'd be me." I say, rolling my eyes.

"My apologies ma'am. I didn't realize that you were..."

"It's fine. Don't exactly look the part right now. And your name is?"

"Jimmy Dobyne, ma'am." He says, shaking my hand, before quickly pulling it back.

"Call me ma'am one more time and I'll show you just how ladylike I really am." I say, leveling him with a glare.

"Dallas!" My mother yells again.

I sigh. "I'll see you later Jimmy. Perhaps you'll be able to tell me more about my horses." I say cheekily. He starts to stutter, before I start laughing as I walk back out of the barn.

"Did you not hear me calling you?" My mother asks as I grab my bags off the front porch. I roll my eyes before I straighten up to look at her.

"Of course I did Mother. I'm sure there were people 2 counties over who didn't though if you'd like to try again."

She shakes her head. "I don't have time for your cheek today. I'm going into town after lunch. Try not to get into trouble while I'm gone."

"I will try desperately hard to maintain our family's good name." I say as Daddy walked past, laughing at my sass.

"You shouldn't laugh. It only encourages her." Mother says to him. Daddy looks down, feigning shame before looking back up and winking at me.

After lunch mother leaves and Daddy and I wave her off from the front porch. "You going out for a ride?" He asks, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

I look up at him and smile. "Absolutely." I say before taking off to the barn.

"Just be safe!" He yells.

"Always am!" I yell back. I run into the barn and come to a skidding halt. "Who wants to stretch their legs?" I ask. All of the horses have their heads out of their stalls. I pull Milky-way out of her stall and tack her up before racing out of the barn, feeling truly free for the first time in a year.