Chapter 1

**Theresa's Point of View**

*I closed the door behind me not knowing what to think. I felt so frustrated on the inside. We know she's a little, we know that she's just a little girl wanting to be taken care of and loved. So, why was she being this way? I can tell that Ava is lying; I have seen her social media. All these thoughts were running through my mind as I walked down the hallway, down the stairs, and into the kitchen where I could hear Johnny going through the kitchen cabinets.*

Theresa: "Johnny, do you think we were too harsh on her?" I asked as I slowly walked through the entryway of the kitchen.

Johnny: "I really don't think so." He responded back as he continued to rummage through the cabinets and pulled out items to make breakfast.

Theresa: "I just don't know why she was denying everything." I stated so confused as I made my way to the kitchen table chair and sat down.

Johnny: "Honey, we knew this was going to be difficult. We took her from everything she knows, even if she is a member of the community already she wasn't going to freely waltz into our arms after all the hurt she's been through."

Theresa: "Yeah, I guess you're right." I responded so discouraged.

Johnny: "It's going to be okay sweetheart, I promise. Do you remember the Johnson's when the used to call us and sound so discouraged that their little was acting up in the beginning? And now look at them! Their little learned to trust and eventually he realized they truly cared. These things take time."

Theresa: "You're right honey, it just hurts. Ya know? And I constantly wonder is what we are doing the right thing?"

Johnny: "Theresa. We need this, we want our family. She needs this. When she was younger those people were horrible to her. She needs to re-learn that not everything in life is bad and be allowed to have those chances to have a childhood. That's what being little and vulnerable is all about."

Theresa: "Yeah. The poor thing has been through so much."

Johnny: "She just needs to learn that we are not bad people- we want to help, and we can be trusted. Unlike the other people who mistreated her."

*Just then noises came over the baby monitor that was resting on the kitchen counter. I stood up and walked over to Johnny as he slowly picked the monitor up from the counter.*

Ava: "Ugh... I really got to go. This is so dumb."

*We listened closely as Ava was continually talking to herself and whining trying to hold herself together from potentially having a meltdown.*

Ava: "I can do this. I can hold it. I don't need to use it. But, how the hell did they know?"

*We glanced at each other for a moment and continued to listen and hear crinkle sounds as Ava was shuffling around and squirming.*

Ava: "Why me? I just want to go home." She cried out over the monitor.

Theresa: "Johnny, she seems really confused and upset. Should we give her another chance and check on her?" I asked.

Johnny: "Hold on, give it another minute." He responded while still listening to Ava's whining through the baby monitor.

Ava: "Ughh... it's from all those drinks last night. There's no way I can hold it." She cried out again and almost sounding like she was about to be in tears.