Chapter 28- Our Band Of Strangers

—————

There were two swings on the playground of Eijiro's local neighborhood park.

They were both old, and whenever the left one moved, it let out a squeak that painfully grated at the ears. The right one was not nearly as loud, but it was evened out by the rough scratches on the rubber seat.

The swing on the left was occupied by Eijiro, because the painful screeching soothed his heightened anxiety. The right one was occupied by Katsuki's phone, because it's a phone and phones don't care about the comfort of their swing.

The person he was waiting for... was it Neito? Back at the jail, he had seen Neito running off with both Izuku and Himiko, without understanding at all why he was there.

Didn't he hate Himiko or something? Even if he suddenly didn't, that was uncharacteristically manly of him...

He stared down at the innocent phone, waiting for the call.

It was the most nerve-wracking anticipation in his life, even more so than when he was waiting to see whether or not he passed his middle school final.

Although, he supposed that waiting to see if he passed a test wasn't as bad as participating in a jail breakout, but eh, it was close enough.

The only thing he could focus on to help his anxiety was the squeaking of the swings. In fact, he was so focused, that when the phone did ring, Eijiro yelped and jumped off the swings.

Jeez, that took hours!

He immediately scrambled towards the phone.

He didn't even check the contact when he swiped to answer, so when he was blasted by a barrage of threats, he was understandably frightened.

"KATSUKI, I SWEAR THAT IF I HEAR A CALL FROM THE STATION, I'LL CATCH YOU AND DRAG YOU DOWN THERE MYSELF, YOU HEAR ME?!"

The big wave of rage from the phone blasted itself into Eijiro's face.

Definitely not Neito.

"DON'T YOU DARE IGNORE ME, YOU BR-"

"H-Hey, uh, excuse me," Eijiro stammered, and the phone went silent. "Look, uh, Bakugo isn't here right now."

". . ."

"But I c-"

"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!" the voice demanded. "One of Katsuki's friends? You have three seconds to answer me!" 

"It's- It is one of Bakugo's friends!" Eijiro answered immediately. "And sorry, but could you uh.. tell me who you are real quick?"

The line went silent for a moment. Then, so polite it scared him, they said, "I am Katsuki's mother."

Eijiro almost dropped the phone from his internal freak out. So, he was on the phone of his crush's mother. Crap.

"Now, what are you doing with Katsuki's phone?"

"He's..." Eijiro was stuck. Should he lie? Was this the call he was supposed to wait for? Because if so, he would be really surprised. His mom seemed to be very against the plan. Actually, the fact that she even knew about the plan surprised him. "using the bathroom."

"At the park? In the middle of the night?"

'HOW DOES SHE KN- oh wait, phone tracking exists.' Eijiro thought. 

"Look, I already know that idiot's breaking your classmate out." she said.

"Y-You do?"

"'Course I do. He never listens. It's like he wants to get arrested," she huffed. "Is he with you? Please put him on the phone."