Amara: Chapter 1

"A good day followed by traffic. Why the hell not," Amara Everett said nonchalantly to herself. She was in her car, her fingers tapping the steering wheel. Not that it would matter as some cars would be stuck for the cars in front to move on once that light turned.

Philly, City of Brotherly Love and Unnecessary Traffic.

Amara looked at the sky, still bright and colorful at five fifteen.

Thank God for May.

It was a good day at the office of Essenti. Essenti was her natural skincare company that was a concept in college but became a thriving business six years ago. She and her team had an early start. They had packaged orders, responded to emails, and got a head start on next week's schedule. They had left on time at five. A couple of her employees offered for her to come out with them downtown. She probably would have joined them. Normally, she would head home after going to a restaurant or fast food place, getting some food. But it was Friday and that meant Friday Family Night. It was a tradition that went on in the Everett household for as long as she could remember. They would play games or watch movies after consuming takeout or they would go out to a restaurant. Her father said it was a reward for working hard throughout the week. It started the first Friday of the month and the following Friday.

She turned up the music in her car a few notches. The soundtrack of jazz and hip hop music relaxed her. She was going to pick up her sister, Danys before going to the Giant near their home in Yeadon.

Or she would hope to do if the car in front would pay attention to the green light that changed three seconds ago.

She pressed on the horn lightly. "Can we go please," she boomed. "Thank you. God bless."

...

"I really want some cupcakes," Danys said as she eyed the dozen of colorful iced baked items.

"Same," Amara said before quickly turning to the sugar-free pies on the table. "But let's not give our parents & ourselves diabetes. Plus we can make them for three dollars less and they would be bigger."

Danys smirked. "Okay, Miss Frugal Forbes."

Amara snorted. "Apple or cherry?"

"Cherry, maybe."

"Do you have ice cream back at home?"

"Yeah."

Amara's eyes lit up. "Oh, speaking of which." She turned to the freezer section.

Danys followed her look and caught on. "I know damn-are you serious?"

Amara walked into the aisle to the ice cream. She scanned the selection as she paced.

"Yes," she whispered when she spotted her prize. Talenti.

She opened the door and grabbed two of the Caramel Cookie Crunch flavor. She turned to Danys, judging her.

"You won't get cupcakes but you will get two expensive pints of ice cream?"

"It's gelato."

Danys turned to the Talenti in the freezer. "It's five dollars."

"It's worth it."

"It's five dollars."

"I'm buying everything."

"It's a pint of five dollars."

"You want one?"

"Yes." Danys beamed as Amara put the two jars in the basket. "I thought it was a hair product for the longest time."

Amara snickered as she had the same thought before she tried it a few years ago.

"Amara," said a male voice.