Amara: Chapter 3

Amara walked through the hallway of her building towards her apartment. She let out a sigh of gratitude. The ride home was less than a half hour. Her parents, especially her mom offered her to stay the night in her old room. She only ever stayed overnight during Thanksgiving and Christmas since she acquired her place. But it was her place, her own space to be as free as she wanted to.

As she neared her apartment door, Amara took out her keys. She entered, flicking the light switch on. Bright light filled the suite. She moved into the kitchen, placing her bags on the marble counter.

She dug into her plastic bag that contained her ice cream and the platter that held a slice of pizza and half her cheesesteak dinner. She took out the ice cream and placed it in the freezer.

Amara took off her shoes and ventured out of the kitchen to the closet in her hallway. She placed them on the shoe rack. She took off her jacket and placed it on the hanger.

She walked to the bathroom and turned on the lights. Her mouth opened, releasing a yawn. She glanced at herself in the mirror. Her bun of twists had gotten a little messier. Her eyes look tired. The light makeup she put on had stayed but she was ready to wash it off. It was a long day but the last few hours took more energy than work did.

Grace's comments echoed in her mind along with the image of Darren with Lysa. She wondered what they were doing now. Ten years since they had last seen each other and he now had a fiance. After their split, she went on a couple of dates but made no intention to be in another relationship. She made a business and focused on herself.

It wasn't a con by any means. She enjoyed the single life. She had more time to focus on herself, her family, and her business. The celebrity endorsements she had gotten over the years allowed Essenti to grow and thrive beyond her expectations. She had become her own boss and lived life on her terms. She was living a dream life.

So why did a small part of herself become annoying and nag at her mind with thoughts of "What if?"

What if we were still together?

Amara imagined them together having their own Friday dinner with their kids. They would have a nice single house in Yeadon or Drexel Hill. Their respective families would sometimes visit. These were images she had long ago.

Amara met Darren in middle school. They started as friends. When they entered high school, they became more, becoming official when they were juniors. In their college years, they reached into next levels, seeing more of each other after wading through the high school years.

That's what it was. The years they spent knowing each other. The journey of their relationship was long but enjoyable. The idea of doing that with someone else, of starting over with another, deterred her from the dating pool. But he dove back in and came out with another.

She would dive back in time. Her own time. Right now, she wanted to wash the dirt of the day away.

I will be making edits in the future but I wanted to give something now. Thank you for reading.