chapter 6

"Game on!"

~•~•~•~

April,
2015

Ikram feels light-headed.

Majorly, it has to do with the near-death experience she had a few minutes back. Yet even better, the person in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" She demanded, eyes narrowed to slits.

"Are you kidding?" He raised his brows, pushed his black-rimmed glasses up his nose, and retorted. "I live here. This is my house, my abode, my place of residence. What are you doing here?"

No! Her mind screams. Ikram shakes her head repulsed. Could it be? Was he? Really? Adnan?

"You're Adnan?" She voiced out at last.

"The one and only." Adnan flexed his shoulders and smiled smugly as though he was announced the champion in a match.

"Oh my God." She slumped down on a chair and all she was thinking is no no no no. Why does it have to be him? Anyone, anyone at all but him!

Adnan pushed past her to the fridge. He pulled out a can of soda and popped it open. He took a swig. "Wait..." He holds up a finger. "Are you the woman's daughter? The one... um... my father married?"

Ikram found his words extremely judgy. "Yes! For the record, her name is Fatima and she's the best mother in the world." She replied hotly.

Adnan raised his hands in surrender. "Okay okay. I wasn't saying anything."

"And for the record..." Ikram continues. It seems like Adnan had just set off a bottom in her. Just like that, the rage is building up and she can't stop it.

"Oh, we're still setting records." He chipped in.

Ikram dismissed his remark. "I did not forgive you for robbing my chocolate tub. And I will get you for it, you have my word!"

Adnan yawned, unbothered by her outburst. "I'm too exhausted for this."

He moves to step out of the kitchen but was halted swiftly by Ikram obstructing his path. "I am not done talking mister."

"Listen..." Adnan paused.

"My name is Ikram." She rolled her eyes.

"Not that, what's your actual name?"

"Aisha, but I prefer Ik..."

"Aeesh." He says cutting her off.

"That's not my name. Don't. Don't call me that." She gritted.

"Whatever. I have one rule and one rule only. Just stay out of my way. And we're cool. Okay?"

Ikram scoffs. "I'll have you know you aren't worth a second of acknowledgment from me!"

"Good." He says. "And one more thing, don't roll your eyes. It's aggravating." And he vanished into the dark living room.

Ikram seethes the way back to her room. God, she abhorred him! And she's not gonna let this slide. One way or the other, he, will, pay.

~•~•~•~

The subsequent morning, everyone was surprised at Adnan's sudden presence in the house. Everyone except Ikram. 

"Hamma Nanu is back! Hurry up, get ready. I will do the honours of introducing you two." Habeeba jumped on Ikram's bed and tickled her awake.