Daytona Vibes

Okay, some really quick trivia for some stuff about my OC

Name: Jaidan "Hunter" Parker-Lee. Mainly goes by Hunter Lee.

Age: 23 (DOB: August 21, 1997)

Nicknames: Jay or JJ (only by close friends and family). "Hunter" is technically a nickname, but she uses it as a first name. It was given to her by Jeff Gordon.

Heritage: Half British and half Kiwi (New Zealand)

Driver of the 26 PPG Ford Mustang for Team Penske

She has an anxiety disorder which leads to her having mental health issues.

Gain much of her racing experience from being an intern crew chief at Hendrick Motorsports while racing in the Nationwide/Xfinity series.

Dale Earnhardt JR. is her adoptive father, but we will get into that later. Jimmie Johnson is her mentor/best friend.

Enjoy!

February 2021

Well,

Three months of waiting. Three months of practicing. Three months of healing, and the time has finally come. The race has been the topic of people's conversation in the south and the west. As the great Darrell Waltrip used to say, The Great Unpredictable Race.

The Daytona 500

The first big race since the start of the pandemic. Something that would mark in the history books forever.

And me...

I am a complete nervous wreck.

It does not matter how long I've been a part of this sport; I always get nervous when it comes to the start of the season. Call it pre-season jitters, if you will.

It wasn't just that last year ended badly for me; it's the off-season that makes me nervous. The offseason is time to relax from a grueling 36 weeks of racing across the country. It is also a time to review contracts with teams and see what needs improvement.

That's the thing about me. I don't mind the contract stuff and the prep work. I enjoy it because there is always room for improvement. It also allows me to try something new.

The relaxing part is what gets to me. I relax on my terms, not when someone tells me to. Then it makes me anxious that I could do something more productive like doing crew chief plans or working on stuff for my hobbies. It's a love-hate relationship, and it bugs me.

Daytona is such a legendary place to win that you are considered one of the greats if you win here. When you crash, not so much. Luckily, I only wrecked out once back in the Coke Zero 400 in 2018. Note, that was the Coke Zero 400, not the Daytona 500.

Are you catching my drift right now?

This race is more severe than the other races we run. I hope everything goes well.

I pace back and forth in my motor home, yesterday's duels still in mind. It was chaos yesterday and at the clash a couple of days before. Not going to lie; I was scared for today. But I shouldn't be. I've run this race just as often as I'm on the crew chief stand. I wring my hands together as I practice my breathing exercises, which my therapist is adamant about.

"Breathe. Just breathe. You'll be fine. It's nothing to worry about." I tell myself. "Unless you want to make a bad first impression for the season." Ugh, why do I do this?

My phone ringing interrupted my thought process. I quickly grabbed it off the side table to see who it was.

Incoming Call: