The Final Song

Crispino shouldered Guinevere down the ridge. They stood before their apprentices. They were a beautiful sight to behold. They were clean, innocent, and pure. No hint of malice or contempt. Both smiling in their final moments. The first being cradled in a warm gentle embrace by the second.
Guinevere fell, holding herself up on an elbow. She cried for her apprentices. Her face was inches from the Ruby. Crispino lifted her up, his own emotions in turmoil. Their students, their apprentices, encased in an eternal slumber. Too young to experience the world. Too young to truly live. Too young to end.
Dea stood above them, her eyes warm and misty. She could feel the Earth already changing beneath her. All from her two children's sacrifice. She felt weaker. She was growing old. As old as the Earth. She would be reborn soon. And her two children would continue her legacy, give her and the Earth the renewal it so eagerly sought.
She lowered her head, blowing warm air over the ruby, fogging its surface. She reared, pounding her front hooves into the ruby. She heard her other children cry out in shock. She reared again, feeding her remaining power into her final strike. The clear ring sounded over the fields as the Ruby split. Dea called out a final time, crumbling to a pile of stone.
Dust surrounded the area, too thick to see through. Crispino and Guinevere called out, waving their arms through the dust, feeling for anything.
A small cough reached them. Crispino hurried, helping Guinevere along. The dust suddenly cleared, leaving them in a small clearing. Guinevere ran forward, ignoring the pain flaring with every step. Tess coughed as Guinevere held her close.
"What happened?" whispered Tess, holding tightly to Guinevere.
Guinevere smiled. "You saved us. You saved everyone." Crispino walked past them.
"Did we? Wait. Tyler!" exclaimed Tess. she turned to see Crispino holding Tyler up.
Tyler smiled at her with his goofy smile he always gave her. Tess ran forward, tackling him in a bear hug. She sent both of them to the ground, holding onto him so tight that if she let him go, she thought he might disappear from her again.
"How? I.. i." Tears choked her voice in her throat. "I watched you die in my arms."
Tyler sat up, still hugging Tess.
Tess pulled back, feeling a hot piece of metal against her neck. Her necklace tugged free, flashing every colour of the rainbow before settling on a deep ruby red. It cleared. Standing in front of them was a noble wolf.
Tess pulled Giustizia in, crying into her hard fur. Tyler smiled, feeling Liberta and Sperare, weakly, pull free from their own jewellery. Around them, the Earth began to erupt Cristaviven from the ground. Tall excotic animals from distant lands to small insects; all made of ruby or precious gems of their region.
They come to mourn the passing of the Old Dea, commented Giustizia, sitting beside Tess. She will be reborn but the death of one so old and powerful is a rare sight. A rare sight indeed.
The four humans watched as the hundreds of Cristaviven bowed to the remains of the Old Dea. They sat silently, waiting.
One brave Musicista hurried over to Crispino and whispered in his ear. Crispino nodded then shook his head, saying something back to him before he ran off.
"What did he want?" asked Guinevere as she hobbled back to Crispino.
"He's doing a death count." answered Crispino. "Twenty are already confirmed dead. He'll bring me an official count by midnight."
Guinevere thought for a moment. "Aren't you third in rank? Leonzio was higher than you."
"He's dead, Gwennie." Crisipno burrowed his head into his hands. "He was killed during the blast when the two halves combined. He lasted so long only to be taken out by some stupid wind!"
Crispino kicked a stone, watching it bounce. "Marco said I'm in the running for Head of the bus. Now, I need to get things back on track before an official vote can take place. The city needs to be rebuilt, any remaining Mostri need to be subdued, funeral rites need to be in order.
"It's going to be a rough first week and I can't count on your help either," sighed Crispino. Guinevere watched him sadly.
"I can still do paperwork with you. I'm not that hopeless."

Figlio de Aramarno, Sperare started, flicking her tail absently. Tyler stood before the ruby tiger, knowing what she would say next. I have taken what is mine and now I fear I cannot continue this journey with you. I have long waited for my final slumber and it has been an honour to guide you and the many Maestre and Maestri. I cannot leave you anything bar my words of wisdom: Stay strong and love that girl of yours. Both of you will become a force to reckon with.
I loved every minute I spent with you. You remind me much of your padre's strength but with your madre's heart. I will miss you and Figlia de Firan.
May your Hope stay true.
Sperare turned towards the sun and sighed. Her body cracked into a million pieces, disappearing into the ground below. Giustizia howled and Liberta cawed at the final resting of their friend. They, too, would someday follow Sperare into internal peace but they had to watch over their humans before then.
Tess stood close to Tyler as he placed an arm around her.
"It's finally over?" she whispered.
"I hope so. At least now we can finally follow our dream together." Tyler rested his head against Tess's.
The sun set on the remains of Dea. The stone clattered together, burying themselves into the ground as Sperare had done. Moments later, a large piece of ruby emerged from the ground. It was Dea, only slightly larger than a standard deer but her black eyes held the same wisdom from her previous lives.
Tess, Tyler and the Cristaviven knelt before her. Dea turned her head to Tess and Tyler with an approving nod.
I shall remember you two for your many great deeds. The earth will bless you and your kindred till the earth itself dies.
Dea turned and loped away towards the west, taking many Cristaviven with her. Hours later, the only way to mark her presence was the faint scent of the wildflowers that grew along her path.
Many would come back to thank her for her protection and only four humans knew the true power of the goddess of the Earth and Sun.