A Glimmer of Hope

'My lady, we have arrived'

Helena jolted up in her seat, brought back to the present as the small boat they were using to cross the narrow sea finally docked. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, she looked around the small pier. The place was deserted, deathly silent except for a couple of seagulls who roamed about in search of scraps to eat. Norn tied the boat with a rope, climbing up to lend them both a hand.

'I know not why you lassies are here, nor do I wants to find out,'

He looked from May to Helena,

'But whatever it is that brings ya here, try not to stay too long.'

With that, he helped them both up to the pier, directed them to the closest inn and walked off in another direction. Helena drew the hood of her cape over her tangled blond hair, the last thing they needed was to be discovered after coming this far. A faint smile touched her lips as they made their way towards the inn, her dream had renewed her resolve. Taking May's hand in a vice-like grip, she hurried towards the shabby looking wooden building, a twinkle in her eyes.

--

Annie rapped on the doors to the chateau, two knights of Helena's personal guard beside her. She fought the feeling of dread forming in the pit of her stomach; the outer gates were unmanned, as was the house itself, leaving one to wonder if it were still inhabited. It stood still in the moonlight, a giant of stone amongst a wilderness of plants that used to be a beautifully kept garden.

'My lady, it appears as though this place has been abandoned'

A knight whispered to her, hand on the hilt of his sword. She shook her head in denial, it couldn't be. Duke Clairmont would never abandon his late wife's home, he seldom left for over a week at a time after her demise. Had someone attacked them? Laid waste to the surrounding land? Tears threatened to spill as Annie rapped harder against the bolted wooden door, nearly crying out for someone to answer her. Anyone would do, even the smallest of maids, she just needed some sign of life.

Suddenly, they heard scuffling from behind the door. The two knights held out their hands, motioning Annie to stand back as they prepared to encounter what or whoever it was that received them. The large door swung inwards; the rusted iron bolts grated in protest as though they had not been used in a long time. A measly candle illuminated the gaunt face of the man who stood at the door,

'Helena?' he rasped

Annie ran forward to meet him, unable to choke back sobs any longer, clasping his hands in hers.

'Your grace!'

She kissed his hands, crying softly. The knights who accompanied her ushered them both inside the chateau, closing the wooden doors behind them. With nothing but the dim light of the candle, now held by the taller knight, they made their way to the sitting room. The furniture was either missing or covered with a white sheet, even the sofa on which they all sat.

'They took everything, Annie. There is nothing left.'

Sir Absil began to light candles around the room, stopped by Sir Bassot so as to not draw outside attention. Annie tried to piece together what happened. She had not set foot in the chateau after they left for Liberia, a good three years or so ago. Duke Clairmont sat beside her, not even half the man in her memory. If her guess was right, the crown had seized his servants, and probably his wealth. Not wanting to worry an already distraught Helena, he would have wanted to make do with whatever he had left. Helena made a splendid queen, and despite the many trials the world continued to throw her way, she continued to lead Liberia. The loss of his majesty the king, two years ago had caused her to crumble inwardly, though she never showed it. Annie knew, she had nursed her lady back to health, held her through all the crying she'd done through countless nights.

'She is well, your grace. Alive and well.'

Annie squeezed his hands in hers, looking him in the eyes. Her words seemed to have brought back some colour to his face, his eyes lighting up at the mention of his daughter.

'Take me to her, please'

Annie rose from her seat so abruptly that the duke who was sitting next to her nearly fell.

'Soon. I shall fetch us all some supper and let us discuss what needs to be done.'

With that, she snatched the candle off the coffee table and made her way to the kitchen relying on her memory, Sir Absil in tow.