Chapter 5

"Aghhh the holiday's over already? It felt like it was just half the day yesterday!"

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it, fret it out Ala-chan."

A whiny Ala-chan at morning. Surprisingly, we met part way on the way to school. As usual, just around the third railway crossing.

I actually planned to walk off the apartments at an earlier time. I'm always on-time or almost late on the way, so I figured about going to uni at an early time just to know what it feels like.

While Ala-chan and I met at the intersection on the way, she looked like she rushed her necessities before heading out. Her short and wavy hair became a "not-so" colossal bed hair, and her face looks haggard, like someone just stayed up late to finish their thesis or something.

"Aghhh!" She scratched her hair so badly, "Why school's a thing? I'm an accountant, not a scientist!"

"Erm.. haven't we been questioning that since we were in grade school?"

"Yeah right-but hey, did you know that progressive and compulsory education became prevalent around the 1900s? That's just a century ago!"

A hundred years doesn't sound like a lot of years ago, but a hundred dollars does. I'm stunned, even Math is as perplexing as English with all the irregular rules, darn it.

"Wait, so we were all dumb before the 1900s?"

"Silly Akko!" She smacked my right shoulder, "There's the Industrial Revolution before that, where kids are into labor, and I mean really young kids! They weren't straight out studying Math or Science back then."

"Oh right, not good at history. My bad."

Speaking of the Industrial Revolution, something just occurred to me.

Imagine, humans emerged on the surface for the last two million years, yet it took the next five hundred thousand or 0.5 million years (the earliest findings) for us to discover fire. Advance that to the eighteenth and nineteenth century, a gap of some hundreds of thousands of years, for us to advance healthcare and industry to what we have today. The entire twentieth century had a slew of human achievements than any century imaginable.

Let that sink in for a moment, the time frame we're currently in has a million times more achievements than in the far past.

Does that mean we just wasted less than two million years being stupid and living in a slice-of-life television series?

Don't worry, I still call humans the most intelligent species the universe has.

But I still can't forgive how unjustifiable and unequal humans are.

"Oh Akkochii, how was the hangout yesterday, had fun?"

"Yeah, as you can see, I had a lot of firsts yesterday with you guys."

Yawn.. she covered her mouth, "Hoooo... I'm glad, I'll let 'ya know if we have any plans to hangout or something like that⎯by the way have you seen the group convo? Miko sent some pictures of her family lunchtime at Seiru! The food there is good, she said."

I opened my cellphone, then navigated to the group conversation, "Huh you're right. Man, these pictures she sent are making me hungry."

"Speaking of convos, HEY! We didn't have our primetime podcast yesterday! I kept messaging you last night yet you haven't budged a read receipt!"

"Oh give me a break! I was real tired yesterday because I had too much fun with you guys!"

"Awhh that's sweet of you Akkochii," Ala-chan suddenly shifted her mood into a cutesy one, "Alriiight~ I'll take that excuse, that's why I just slept early tonight because there's nothing to do."