~ PROLOGUE ~

꧁ PROLOGUE ꧂

PROLOGUE

𝑖 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤 𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑐𝑒𝑟𝑡𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑦,𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚~ Vɪɴᴄᴇɴᴛ Vᴀɴ Gᴏɢʜ

𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚
~ Vɪɴᴄᴇɴᴛ Vᴀɴ Gᴏɢʜ

𝑖 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤 𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑐𝑒𝑟𝑡𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑦,𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚~ Vɪɴᴄᴇɴᴛ Vᴀɴ Gᴏɢʜ

3ʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

━━━ IT IS SAID IN THE OLD LEGENDS that the constellations were both heroes and beasts that received a place among the stars as a memorial for their deeds. They strode across the heavens as semi-divine spirits, both living and conscious.

She always dreamt about the stars. The never-ending dark abyss that was space, brightened by the souls of the dead. But in her mind, there were far too many lights for it to just be the god-favored heroes.

In her mind, everyone earnt a place among the stars. Not just heroes who saved the world, but the heroes that helped people. The hero's that were compassionate and kind. Hero's that were simply people in their own little worlds.

She hoped that everyone who died earned a place in the stars, in peace. But she knew this was not the case. Because she had felt it, that cold, dark abyss. There were no stars. No light. No peace. Just complete and utter loneliness.

And she hated it.

Dying had never been something that was on the seventeen-year old's bucket list, but it was something that happened. She died just as she lived in the afterlife. Alone, and scared.

She had been walking around the area of Stephens Quarry in the forest. Something had been drawing her there, like a moth to the flame, something she couldn't quite place. It was beautiful, the scenery looking ethereal as the moonlight reflected off the water, causing a silvery glow to befall on everything it touched.

The slight breeze in the air was cool, but not cold. It rustled its fingers through the green leaves that hung off of the trees, as well as the lilies that bloomed near the water, and the noise was enough to calm the slight feeling of anxiety that had been making its way into her mind. She knew what was drawing her to this place, but she tried not to acknowledge it.

It was the feeling of death. Her death.

And she was right.

She should've recognised the full moon, should've heard the growls from behind her, but she was caught up looking at the stars. Staring at the way they twinkled in the night, how they seemed to disappear the closer they got to the moon.

She should've heard the howl.

But she didn't.

The first claw mark came to her chest, making her release an ear-piercing scream. The beast tore through her shirt and skin, spraying blood onto the nearby leaves, the red liquid mixing with the dirt. Three deep gashes, it left.

But no one heard. Even through the quiet of the night, even with the echoes her sobs left, she was too far away from the closest human settlement, too far into the woods. Too far away from home.

The next came to the left side of her face, another three scars that began from above her left eyebrow, through it, narrowly missing her eye and extending down her left cheek. The blood tangled it's way into her pale hair, that looked as though it had been woven with strands of moonlight.

Then it began attacking her stomach, clawing horizontally along her skin. She felt it begin to eat the flesh, the horrible pain and the disgusting feeling of the animal tearing into her insides.

It wasn't quick. And for the first time in her life, she wished she were dead.

As though the stars had answered her prayers, the beast clawed at her throat, and as she died she didn't close her eyes. She just stared at the twinkling of the lights that illuminated the night sky.

Her last thoughts were hoping, for the first time, that a soul wouldn't rise to the stars. She hoped the beast would not have a place along side her when it died.

But even with her own death, the stars saw no change.

Because, they agreed, it was not quite her time.

________________________________________