Twelve

"So, about my question.", you reached into your bag and pulled out the sample with the powder first. "Did you ever see something like this before?"

With his eyebrows knitted together, Marcus took the glass container to take a look at the sample from all sides. His eyes widened a bit, as if he was surprised, but he did not say anything yet.

"Where did you get this?", he asked, sounding strangely impatient.

"I- uh... JD found a cave.", you tried to explain without risking that he would call you an idiot right away.

You knew Marcus about as well as your own father and if you knew one thing then that it wasn't wise to test his patience. But despite that he was easily angered by things like mistakes that were avoidable in his eyes.

"A cave?", he asked, one eyebrow raised. "What cave?"

As he pulled a face the broad scar on his cheek twitched.

You had always wondered where he had gotten it from but ever since you and JD had been children he had hated to talk about the past. The Locust War. And his days as a gear.

He had been furious as JD had decided to follow into his father's footsteps. This decision and many more were the reason why the two weren't talking anymore.

Sighing, you let your head fall back and rubbed your forehead.

"It's so strange, I-...", again you had to take a deep breath in order to make sense of your own words. "I didn't even know this cave existed, Marcus. It's so close to my home, barely thirty minute walk."

He shrugged, looking at the powder again.

"You're not really going out much.", he said and somehow made it sound like an insult.

Pulling a face, you glared at him.

"Thanks Mister-I'm-never-leaving-my-home. But that's not what I mean. I'm saying that I knew the mine existed before. But not like this. It's... totally overgrown by weird ass red crystals. There's a lake in the middle. But I'd sell my soul to you and say that there wasn't a lake a few months ago."

As he listened to your descriptions, his gaze turned darker and darker. While he was thinning his eyes wandered through the dark, dusty room.

"Crystals, you say?", he asked. "What kind?"

You pulled out the big piece that you had taken from the cave.

He didn't even take it. He just looked at it for a short second before looking back at you again.

"That's something from the past.", his voice sounded deadly tense in that moment. "You're not supposed to have this."

As you noticed the unsettled shimmer in his blue eyes, you swallowed thickly. Immediately, your shoulders tensed and the hair in the back of your neck shivered.

"You know what it is.", it wasn't a question but a realisation. "Is it... is it what I think it is? The Locust?"

Breathing in sharply, Marcus eyed the crystal again before handing it back to you.

"You didn't encounter any... weird looking monsters?", he asked and glanced at you from the corner of his eyes. "Your generation has never seen one before. Too young. But... I suppose you will recognise one if you see it."

You shook your head.

"The cave was empty.", you said. "I swear."

A low hum escaped him.

"Then... maybe the cave is just what's left."

"Marcus. I told you, the cave wasn't always the way it is now."

"Then I'll take care of it. Blowing it up should do the trick."

"I'll come with you."

"No. Go and grab JD. Bring him here. It's for his own safety. You're welcome too, of course."

For a moment, you had to think.

"He doesn't want to, Marcus.", you tried to remind him.

But he just shook his head.

"He has to.", he insisted. "It's for your own good. If he really loves you, he'll understand. Because that's what love is about. Making sacrifices and doing things you don't always want to do."

He was right, of course, you had to give him that.

But deep down you couldn't help and feel it would be unfair to force JD into something that he did not want to be a part of.

"I'll try what I can do.", you said and got up to shake Marcus' hands in thanks.

"Don't worry too much. Its probably nothing. I'll just get rid of it and time will tell."

You gifted him a relived smile.

"Thanks, Marcus.", you hugged him. "I can always rely on you."

He huffed, smiling.

"That's what I promised your parents. And I can't let JD down. If anything happens to you he'd blame me as well as himself."

"I'll be careful."

Again, he huffed but this time he definitely chuckled.

"You should be.", he advised you as he guided you outside. "You're not much of a fighter."

Grinning sourly, you rolled your eyes and gave him a bump to the chest. But it had hardly any effect on him.

You groaned.

"My apologies that I'm not a prime example of human.", you snarled sarcastically. "But I guess it's just the way JD said. I'm the brain and he's the brute."

"Hm, sounds familiar."

You wanted to tell him what JD had said about it but bit your tongue to avoid tearing up old wounds. Deep wounds, that could remind him of a dead wife and a war that he had been forced to fight.

"I'll be on my way then.", you nodded him goodbye, but stopped after a few steps. "Marcus?"

"Hm?"

"Will it... will it be alright?"

He frowned. For a moment not a single word left his lips. The expression on his face changed from unsure to hateful and bitter before turning serious and hard again.

"You shouldn't worry.", he finally said.

"But I do. I worry about you. And JD. We're... not... we don't know anything about war. Half of our generation isn't made to be a Gear, me included. If the worst thing happens... Do you think we could win a war?"

He took a deep breath in. His face darkened.

"I don't know."