FOUR

"Now then Mr., Stoll, is it? First I want to know how have you been sleeping?"

I was in the office of Dr. Townsend. 

He asked, "Have you had any odd dreams lately?"

I was a bit anxious about revealing my feelings but I did anyway.

"Yes, yes I have," I replied. "Well then, continue. I am interested in hearing what strange thoughts and emotions you are dealing with. You can learn a lot about someone with their dreams." I recounted the nightmare I had experienced just last night. 

"Thank you, that was very insightful. I'm glad that you are opening up to me about this stuff. Many of our patients are a bit reluctant during the first visit. Now, do you have any anxieties? Anything that's holding you back or you've lost control over? Maybe something new that your dealing with?"

"Yes Dr., I have DID"

"Kids?" The Dr. inquired.

"Two." I said.

"Oh, Yes well I am going to help you with that but first I need to see how serious it is. I want you  to monitor yourself for a few days, write down anything unusual that happens and let your wife stay with you for a while. OK?"

"Yeah, OK."

As I left the office I was different. Like I had changed. As if a completely new person with a mind, a brain, and a soul arose in my body.