CHAPTER 3

The morning dragged so slow. Billy looked up at the cloudy, windy sky as Max climbed out of the car and slammed the door shut.

There was a flicker there, to tell Max to fucking chill. To yell at her about his baby and the gentle care it needed.

But he couldn't muster the energy.

Someone knew. And the fact that it was Harrington. God, fuckin' Christ. Billy growled, leaning his forehead against the steering wheel. Inhaling past the bruised ribs, opening his eyes to a tap on the window.

He straightened; Tommy. A nod and the guy backed off enough for Billy to exit that vehicle, running a hand through his hair, checking his outfit quickly, making sure his eyes didn't have any goop.

Because if Neil had taught Billy anything, appearances were everything.

"Hey." Tommy checked him real quick. "You ok?"

Billy shrugged. "Rough night."

Tommy grinned like he knew what that meant. It pricked at Billy, no one knew what he went through. Especially not these high school bastards. But Billy played into it, shouldering Tommy and giving a deep chuckle.

"You know how it goes." Letting Tommy fill in the blanks.

"So how wild was the party?" Billy missed a step. That's a leap. "Did you get laid?"

Billy shrugged, "Don't kiss and tell man."

"C'mon." Tommy whined, arm raising to fall over Billy's shoulders.

Billy moved to rub at his eye, blocking the movement. Tommy transitioned to a stretch, looking a little perplexed.

"Well." Tommy nodded at a girl across campus. "Hopefully you're not too worn out for the rager Estelle is throwing this weekend."

"Oh?" Brows rose, interest piqued.

"Yeah." Tommy nodded, voice lowering like he was sharing juicy gossip. "I heard she's loaded, so the good shit's gunna be there."

Billy chuckled, though he knew already. Estelle's dad was some kinda pocket politician or whatever. They weren't hurting for cash.

"Anyone who is someone is gunna be there." Tommy slapped Billy on the back. "See you in Spanish."

Billy nodded, pulling out his sunglasses to keep up the ruse. "See you." And the first period bell rang.

Billy let his head fall against the wall as kids filed past. He ached. He wanted to skip. Eyes squeezed shut, listening as the last few people filtered past.

Till a set of footfalls stopped in front of him. Billy could tell by just one sniff who it was, and anger immediately raged.

"Billy?" Steve's voice was… confused.

"We aren't friends, Harrington." Billy growled.

Steve scoffed, "uh. I know?" He shuffled a bit. Billy refused to look at him, fists clenching. "I just… wanted to make sure… like." He inhaled and Billy finally snuck a peek.

He was flushed, hand scratching the back of his head, eyes wandering everywhere but Billy's direction.

Billy sighed, pushing off the wall. "You'll be late, Harrington."

"I just-" Steve looked at him then, all fiery determination. Jaw set, fists clenched. "How bad is it?" The words flew from his mouth. "Should someone get invol-"

He wasn't able to finish the word before Billy had him pinned to the wall, fists clenched in that stupid jean jacket he loved. "You will not," he shook Steve a little for emphasis, "tell anybody about anything." He growled, grip tightening. "There's nothing wrong."