XXIII

Dequavince Demaro Harris
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
An Hour Later

"How the hell did she get arrested?" I ask my brother.

"I don't know, she called mom crying, from jail." DeAngelo explains.

My mom cries on my shoulder, she called us over here after finding out my sister was in jail.

"I'm waiting for them to call me back. I can't believe they put my child in jail." She shakes her head.

"Let's go down there." I pick up my keys.

...

"Dereyna Donda Pittman." My mom tells the person at the desk.

"Ay, Mercedes?" I notice her sitting in a chair, writing paperwork.

She looks at me like she's seen a ghost.

"What is you doing here?" I walk away from my mom'nem.

"Pressing charges." She mumbles.

"How do you spell Dereyna's name? Is it D-A, or D-E, and is it Rayna with an a or Reyna with an e?" She asks.

"D-e-r-e-y-n-a." I spell out, sitting down next to her.

"Thank you baby." She sighs.

Her calling me baby again made my dick flutter. I miss her lil pet names.

"Wait a damnnn minute, whatchu need ha name fa?" I stand back up.

"To press charges." She says calmly.

"Fuck is you pressing charges against my sister fa?" I snatch her papers away.

"Give my fucking paperwork back!" She snatches it back, tearing it a lil.

"Fuck." She goes to the desk and tapes it back together.

"Mercedes, what happened?" I ask.

"The bitch ran up on me after my nail appointment. Ian wanna fight her cuz I just got my muthafuckin nails done..." She shows me her broken nails and bruised hands.

"Damn..." I mumble.

Aw, she got the colors I told her to-

"But she ran up anyway calling me weak hoes and shit, she called me broke so a busted a band on her ass. I mean course I picked it up after but..." She trails off.

"But anyways she hit me and she got me good I ain't een finna lie. I was tryna protect my nails and shit at first but I said fuck it and stalled on ha ass." She reenacts it.

"Drop them charges April." I whisper so my family can't hear.

"No. She hit me after I told her ian wanna fight. And that's not even what pissed me off, she brought up the baby." Her lip quivers.

I can't even bring myself to get mad at her about the abortion anymore. Honestly, I feel bad for her. She hasn't been the same since. I think she panicked and made a bad decision that everybody throws in her face. I'm not tryna make it worse on her.

"I shouldn't have ever told her so she could use that shit against you." I feel bad.

"It's okay I know that's your family." She starts back writing.

"Aggregated assault!?" My mom yells making everybody look at her.

"She hit me with her purse hella hard." Mercedes shrugs.

"That's too damn much and you know it. You hit her too." I reason with her.

"Stop tryna talk me out of it. She's going to pay fa saying that grimy ass shit." She ignores me and flips to the last page.