LXIV

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
A Month Later

"Watch where the fuck you going cuz." I tell the nigga who bumped into me.

I'm 7 months pregnant with one baby and 7 weeks with the other one. His big ass could've knocked me clean the fuck over.

"Ay, ain't you D's bitch?" He nods at me.

"Who?" I scrunch my face up.

D taught me to never claim him when niggas ask about him to me. He got a gang war going on and I'm not tryna get murked.

"Nah cuz I den seen y'all together befoe." He laughs.

"I'll call him right na." I back up.

When they don't buy my story I always threaten to call him since his name usually scare em off.

"I'm not doing nun... You shouldn't be out alone when you pregnant tho." He licks his lips.

"Is that a threat ma nigga?" I raise my eyebrow.

"I'm just looking out. Tell D Javari said whatsup?" He chuckles.

"Yaight." I roll my eyes and check out.

I only came out to get a few things from Walmart but I guess it's weird niggas everywhere.

I hurry out of the store back home. For the first time in a long time I've decided to cook instead of eating fast food.

I prepare a wholeeee meal. Garlic and butter mashed potatoes, a cheesecake, fruit bowl, and fried tilapia because since my pregnancy I've been obsessed with fish.

Trying to push away my insecurities I put the cook on low so it stays warm. I try to focus on setting the table but my mind keeps wandering.

"Wonder if he at a bitch house." I mumble to myself.

Doubt fills my mind forcing me to think about different possibilities of him cheating on me.

I hate to accuse him of shit but sometimes I just don't have Faith in him.

"Sumn smell good as a bitch, whatchu cookin ma?" As if on queue he walks in.

"Tilapia, mashed potatoes, cheesecake, and a fruit bowl." I smile.

He sits his gun on the table, next to mine. He bought me a new one in pink because he liked the idea of my gun coming from him.

"I missed you." He sits his hands right above my ass.

"I missed you too."

He gives me a kiss before leaning down and kissing my belly giving me butterflies.

"I'mma fix yo plate. I kept it on the isle so it stay warm." I say.

"Thank you lil mama." He sits down at the dinning room table.

"How much potatoes you want?" I ask.

"Bout 6 scoops."

"One slice of cheesecake?" I ask.

"Two. And not no lil ass slices eitha."

"How many pieces of tilapia?" I ask.

"Foe."

I nod, finishing his plate. I make mine and take both of them and the fruit bowl to the table.

"Where were you?" I ask despite trying not to.

"At one of my clubs." He says.

I nod and play with my food.

"Whatchu really wanna ask?" He sits his spoon down.

"Nun." I mumble.

"Say what chu gon say." He sighs taking his hat off.

"Nothing really..."

He just stares at me until I speak again.

"I just feel like you fucking one of dem strippers." I shrug.

"Here we fucking go. You always on sum bullshit." He smacks his teeth.

"I'm always on sum bullshit? I be bored as fuck when you leave fa 10 hours a fucking day doing God knows fucking what!" I stand up and head to the fridge.

"I got businesses to attend to and properties to manage and I gotta clean my money so the Feds don't fucking snatch me cuz I wanna be there fa you and my damn children." He explains.

"Whatchu want tuh drink?" I ask.

"Sprite." He says.

I grab a Sprite and pour a glass of cranberry juice for myself.

"And you always lie so I never know if you really where you say you is ah you lying again." I shake my head.

"You so fucking aggy if I said I was at my club, that's where the fuck I was." He says.

I take my plate and cup of juice upstairs to the guest room and lock the door.

I don't know if it's the hormones or not cuz I'm a natural crybaby but I start crying. He likely can't hear me from downstairs so I just let it all out.

The Next Day

I wake up dazed and rub my eyes. There's a piece of paper slid under the door so I go pick it up.

"Dear April, I apologize for our negative encounter last night in the dinning room of the west wing of our family home. I meant no harm by my words or actions last evening and I only hope you can find it in your giving heart to forgive me. -Your Future Husband." It reads.

"Why this nigga actin so proper?" I fold it up and put it in my purse.

I'm going to keep this to remind our children how down bad they daddy is for me.

I take a lovely shower and rub my Mother's Friend cream on my stomach to help with the stretch marks.

I leave the guest room and return to our room to put on sum clothes. D lays in the bed, smoking, shirtless with a gold chain on and gray Nike sweats on.

He looking real edible right abt now. Maybe I'm horny or maybe it's the hormones but damn...

"You still mad?" He licks his lips.

"Nah I'm straight. I'm sorry too, I'm still learning how to trust you." I shrug.

"I had a talk with Carter and we went back and forth. Nigga told me I'm in the wrong and I gave you so many reasons not to trust me it's basically my fault you actin like this." He sits up.

I raise my eyebrows and tilt my head, silently agreeing with him.

"So fa na on I'm going to give you reassurance instead of disregarding your feelings, in attempt to reverse the results of my own actions." He says sounding like he's reading straight off a script.

I bust out laughing at how hard he must've rehearsed this. He looks hurt so I quickly pull myself together.

"Wait no, I'm sorry baby. Thank you it just sounded so forced." I chuckle.

"I worked bout an hour on that sentence." He scratches his head.

"Awww you tryingggg. Look at us being in a healthy, communicational relationship." I smile.

"I'm not used to this. I'm finna go to sum hoe's house so you can beat on me and we can get into it." He nods.

"Boy please, we're being healthy." I roll my eyes.

"Our relationship been healthy, the fuck?" He looks at me crazy.

We stare at each other seriously for a minute before busting out laughing.