| chapter ten |

FOR y/n it was extremely difficult for her to adjust to life in the victorian era and not be able to type a couple words into google and everything to be there. she had gone to the library yes when she was in her own era but she also had other ways of research: the internet.

not only that, but the cobbled streets of london weren't exactly clean -to say the least. the thames was used as a makeshift sewage and the streets of the oh-so-glorious-capital-of-the-largest-empire-ever was caked in horse dung and mud (pleasant) which meant the place was basically filthy and immensely packed with people from all over the world. y/n wasn't exactly fond of the stark differences that late 1800s london presented compared to the more cleaner and urbanised modern london but she figured she would have to make do.

after all, she wasn't entirely sure how and why she was here in the first place considering all she wanted to do was go to the nearest grocery shop. ah but then, she remembered that fateful encounter with that bizarre woman on the corner of the pavement, from then, she had miraculously disappeared from her own time period and transported into an era that wasn't even in her universes' timeline but another one.

y/n had gone into a full-blown panic mode (and an existential crisis) after realising that she would most likely be deemed missing in her world. her parents, her friends, her colleagues would all wonder: what happened to y/n l/n? if she somehow managed to find a way back, people will begin to question where she's been all this time, what she had been doing.

that is, if she would ever come back. perhaps she would appear on those true crime mystery documentaries on netflix and someone would make some stupid conspiracy on how she's probably been transported to another dimension where everything is slightly altered and a crime lord is raging in the parallel universe of london that she lives in and she's actually in a manga having crossed the fourth wall, to which, would obviously be so absurd and ludicrous it couldn't be true. of course not.

and now, y/n was in the london library -one of the world's leading library institutions (according to the greatest search engine, google)- at lunch time after telling everyone back at the moriarty manor that she needed to research some stuff and to her surprise none of them questioned her about it. there was also a library back at the manor which y/n did rifle through desperately for anything but to no avail.

however before she set off, william had stopped her just in time, passing her a membership card that was required to enter the building itself. "you'll get kicked out if you don't have one" he had joked and asked her if she would like a carriage ride there.

y/n opened her mouth to object but then clamped it shut when she registered that she had no idea where the library was. from over the hundred years that had passed, london had changed so much she could only recognise big ben and other tourist attractions and unfortunately, y/n had never as much used a map in her life before so that's completely out of the question.

"if you don't mind," y/n had smiled in gratitude.

she placed the tall stack of books on the only vacant spot she saw with a quiet bang beneath the green bankers lamp. apparently the bang wasn't quiet enough because she became the scrutiny of almost everyone in a four meter vicinity as she felt glaring eyes on her and mumbled an apology. y/n sat on one of the long library tables next to a young boy who seemed to be quite stressed as he stopped and started writing as he read the multiple books laid around him.

opening her own books, y/n skimmed the pages to see if there was anything useful because she wasn't exactly apt in digging out information about time travel and magic and all sorts of nonsense that seems absolutely nonsensical. and to her expectations, there was nothing! nothing on time travel, she's sure that the thought of such a thing occurring must not even have grazed the thoughts of a genius. or perhaps it had.