chapter 1

The fire cracked and crunched the branches that were consumed by the fire, coating them in a dark shade of black with them growing smaller, 4 kids were sitting around it, one brunette, 2 blondes, and finally, one raven haired boy.

It was dark, the raven covered sky was prickled with a few stars, clouds formed and moved directions, the moon bright and full, a few clouds covering it, wind blew softly against the trees, blowing the leaves lightly.

"So, what are we going to do if we get caught? Will we be killed? Able to get away? Or what?" The brunette asked, holding a thick branch to push a few other branches and leaves to brighten the fire, some were slimmer than the one she was holding, some slightly thicker, they came in various sizes too, most were large, they made cracking sounds in the process of being burnt and consumed within the damage of the fire.

The blonde boy with a middle part's head had snapped up, at the brunette girl with a confused expression with shock mixed into one, "why?" He answered, the brunette shrugged.

"I'm asking because it's to be prepared for if it happens. If we are successful then we can continue what we're supposed to be doing. But.. I'm just asking what would we do if it happens?" The young girl explained, the blonde stayed quiet, most probably thinking.

"Well... We can protect each other, we're comrades. We can figure it out if that does happen.. But for now let's not think about it, we want to be our best, and guard up and ready for whatever happens." The blonde explained, his expression softening into a look of confidence and pride.

The burrnettes expression was the opposite. Her look was full of irritation and annoyance. A look of fear and lack of confidence shown through but went away as quick as it shown. Her head was hung down, only staring at the fire crunching and crackling in front of her. "You try so hard to be Marcel. You're never going to be him or remind him to us when we see you. All we're going to think about is how you ate him and how you inherited his titan. I hope you know that, Reiner." The brunette wiped a small hand on her face before she finally looked up at the blonde boy, he was silent with a look of guilt.

"Why does that matter?" He asked, a look of irritation that matched the brunettes.

"Never said it did, I'm just saying. Are you just acting like this because of the guilt you're so full of whenever you see us because you knew he was the big brother of us all? And better than you. He should've been chosen, not you." The brunette said, mumbling the last part. She blinked within the silence that consumed the 4 eleven to twelve year olds.

Reiner had a look of surprise on his face but was saved from answering by the other blonde. "I'm tired. Just go to sleep." She stated , pulling a small sleeping bag out of the large and heavy backpacks that was full of supplies for the mission.

The brunette smirked, "you can answer later. For now just go to sleep." She said, standing up and retrieving her own sleeping bag to lay on the green grass outside. "We're almost to the walls anyway. We should be able to breach it tomorrow." She said, climbing in the sleeping bag and closing her eyes. She curled up into a ball, something she always did and was unable to break out of the habit.

"Right." The raven haired boy finally spoke up, slapping a hand to Reiner's shoulder, "don't mind her, okay? Just get some rest, I'm sure she's just tired and angry about it." He said before getting ready to go to sleep.

Reiner nodded slightly, his heart pounding against his chest, he did the same as the others. "Night." He mumbled, his eyes darting from each of the bodies that lay in the sleeping bags. "Night, Reiner." The raven haired boy mumbled as well, shifting in his own sleeping bag to get comfortable.

Reiner found it hard to fall asleep, thoughts about what the brunette said overflowing his mind. He eventually found his eyes stinging slightly, growing heavy. He turned to his side, falling into unconsciousness.