| Chapter Twelve |

Their meals had been delivered to them by various Guards, men who often said nothing or scoffed at their presence

Their meals had been delivered to them by various Guards, men who often said nothing or scoffed at their presence. Once, they had been lucky enough to receive trays from a scullery maid who offered a pitied smile.

Otherwise, they were left undisturbed.

Kealie thought it was a small blessing from Charya. Even though most of their time together was spent in silence.

She mulled over everything for the first time.

In days she'd escaped her village, discovered a sunken ship, met her half-brother, and broken the curse plaguing her entire life.

Not once had she stopped to think.

To consider.

Recounting how impulsive and careless she'd been.

After hours of grieving and a restful night - so she could gather - her sadness had morphed into a wave of seething anger that knew no bounds.

A rage powerful enough, Kealie began to see red. Her blood thrummed to life, pounding through her veins and burning her eyes until her leg was trembling against the cement floor.

The only distraction from her fury and disgust was the soft snoring of the Nerydian before her, turning in his sleep. This was the first time he'd been tired enough to lay down and with it, the sleep took him swiftly.

Nixian was the only person other than Lyre herself to show Kealie true kindness. He was the first to protect her, the first to make her laugh.

To make her smile.

Even the comfort his very essence provided made Kealie livid.

Not because he deserved it, but because he showed her that life and misery were not married. His kindness made her crave a better life, a peaceful life.

But what upset Kealie most of all was a world where her mother was willing to destroy the one good thing she'd ever known.

To burn him, to make a ceremony out of a soul's life.

Her mother's malicious sickness plagued this country for so long, Kealie didn't believe there was a solution.

A small tap on the door alerted Nixian and sent him launching out of the cot and halfway onto the concrete. He grimaced slightly as if he'd hurt his neck.

The door creaked open slowly, revealing the small brunette in nothing more than a white gown and thinly laced black corset. No book in her hand. No cheerful smile on her lips.

Kealie's stomach rolled, watching as her sister snuck into the room with a hesitation that broke her heart.

"Mother sent me to check on you," Lyre murmured, not lifting her gaze from the ground.

Kealie didn't know what to say, a lump forming in her throat as she grappled with the truth. She worried if their mother had lied to Lyre, but there wasn't much to lie about.