10; split memories

• Boats&Birds - Gregory and the Hawk •

✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

if you be my star

i'll be your sky

you can hide underneath me and come out at night

when i turn jet black and you show off your light

I live to let you shine

  ✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

It's warm. 

It's warm, Salera thinks, even though the sky is blurring with white crystal, and the wind whistles loudly past their reddening ears. 

It's hot. 

It's hot, she thinks, because the puddle of burning dark crimson keeps growing around them, like a cursed circle of protection, and Salera is by her knees at his side, biting her lip to stop the tears from falling because fuck, she never expected this to be so hard.

 He lifts a shaking hand to her shoulder, like he's trying to console her, and the tears only fall faster. 

Axa slips his hands into hers, and she grasps at it lightly, not really knowing the reason for why a burst of happiness spurts through her when he does. 

Axa's hand falls from her shoulder, and she aches for his touch again. It's like a final piece of her heart she didn't know she had was just ripped from her, and she hurts

I'm cold, he says, and pulls her closer. He leans against her, messy pale hair gleaming in the golden light, looking almost silver. So cold, he says again, and suggests going back inside because he'll actually freeze to a icicle if they don't. 

"I'm cold, Sal." He whispers faintly, and those light blue eyes she loves so much flickers white and tilts to the sky. She wonders if he's studying it, trying to figure out where he'll be going after he dies. 

(Because she can't stop it. The blood keeps going and coming even though her hands are pressed so tight over his chest and she shouldn't be doing it, shouldn't be trying to save a enemy, but he's her best friend and her enemy and he's the one she fell in love with, because love is stupid and reckless and takes too much from you without asking).

Salera laughs, kicking her heels against the bench and standing up, pulling against his coat jacket before Axa begrudgingly stumbles onto his feet as well. You're just not moving, she says with a grin, knowing the boy hasn't read enough of their ridiculously thick biology textbook to give her any decent reply. 

Salera sits back on her heels, tears falling faster, and the reality hits her like a ton of bricks to the chest. 

She's killed her best friend, the one of the two people she's ever loved so much it hurt, (and now there won't be any left, will there?)

Once your blood warms up, you'll feel fine, she reassures him, and he lets her drag him around the icy ground.  It turns into a small play at a dance, an mere echo at what they admire on television and follow the best they can. 

She wishes she could return to the good memories, when the world didn't burn at her feet and Axa wasn't bleeding out by her bullet and her hand. 

He's wishing he took advantage of the easier, happier times then, instead of waiting for the right time which would never come. It's a dangerous duel for the both of them, a last-ditch attempt at love

Axa twists her around him with a flourish, and she can't stop a laugh, playing along with it. 

Axa's looking at her, the soft azure gaze like a stab to the chest, and she sobs helplessly.

I love you, Sally, thrown in like a whisper to the wind. She pretends not to hear, pretends it was her ears and the wind playing a trick on her ears, and he pretends with her. 

I love you, Sally, he mouths distantly, and she's crying too hard to say anything back. 

He gets it, though, because he always has. 

The world spins in blissful, sweet, white. 

The world spins in cruel, painful, black. 

They're two kids in the park, playing a game dangerously close to love. And it was scary, a little, but his eyes were shining and her smile brighter than ever, so they both ignored the clashing feelings inside them. 

They were two opposing sides, the good and the evil, the accepted and the outcast, the hero and villain. 

 And life had cast them into a poisonous duel of regret and hurt and death and love, and it was one that they hadn't been able to escape until it was too late

I love you, too.