9; falling shadows

• Mountain Sound - Of Monsters And Men •

Mountain Sound - Of Monsters And Men

✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

some hid scars and some hid scratches

it made me wonder about their past

and as I looked around, i began to notice

that we were nothing like the rest

✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

In some way, Axa knows before he sees her. 

He knows his time of running from problems is over, and some part of him is relieved. Relieved to be free of the burden it forces on him, even if it means death is finally coming for him. 

And that part of him might have been what made him ignore his impulse to run, escape the scene. It might've been the fraction of his mind telling him to stay, face what came as him own. 

And he's glad, in the end, because when he turns, Salera is standing behind him, eyes flashing with anger and hate and too many emotions he can't unbury in so little time. She's heavily armored, but he didn't expect anything less. 

Of course, he'd still ran when he saw her. There's some part of human survival instinct that makes you want to save your life no matter what, and they'd ended up on the rooftop. 

Seeing that he's a literal lighting pole, that was probably not the best choice. Not that he was worried for himself, but Salera could still get hurt, civilians could still get hurt, and he couldn't pay to have anyone else hurt because of him. 

She's fast, faster than his lighting, and he's facing down a heavy barrel of a pistol before he can blink.

They face each other on the cold, cold, ground, wind whipping around their faces sharply. 

Axa brushes silver shining hair away from his eyes, and distantly wonders what death is like. 

Salera levels the gun at him steadily, and wonders the same thing. 

✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

She recognizes him when she's still far away to see his face, to identify any of his features.

No, her eyes trace out his familiar figure before she knows it, and something clicks in her heart that it is him, her best friend the man who murdered her sister the boy she fell in love with, all in a painful mess of one.

He tenses, and she can tell he knows, too. Axa turns, bright flickering eyes pinning her to the wall behind her with drowning waves of sorrow and regrets, all in one gaze.

He runs, of course, platinum blonde hair flying at he disappears down alleys and dark curves of the streets he's grown to be so familiar with.

Unfortunately, Salera knows them just as well, if not better. She follows him down twists and turns, eyes never failing to pick out clues and hints of his crackling energy left behind.

They meet each other on a faint rooftop, wind and rain whistling through their ears. She's not sure when it started to rain, and it's taking her all she has to hold the gun steady at him.

There's no time for words to be exchanged, for sorries to be said or regrets to be voiced, for her to finally start breaking, and the bullet slices through the air into his chest before she knows it.

He only gives her a small, sad, smile, and falls into the darkness. 

✡︎ ✡︎ ✡︎

i regret nothing