chapter seven

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅‎♡‧₊˚

As Aurora readied herself for the next ball, Benjamin's words echoed through her mind

As Aurora readied herself for the next ball, Benjamin's words echoed through her mind. She found herself excited at the mere thought of him presenting himself as a suitor, or even at the idea of asking her for a dance, and suddenly she wished to be present at the ball already. "Which dress do you wish to wear this evening, Miss?" Aurora turned away from her reflection in the mirror to see Stella standing before her closet. With the vast array of dresses hung up, there was only one she had in mind. The dress was one that she had been begging to wear, one she knew no other girl in ton had.

"The one the Modiste just finished." Stella smiled, pleased with her choice. Her newest dress was one that was sure to turn heads, it was simplistic in style, but the color was iridescent. In different angles of lights, the dress would appear to be pink, but in another, the color turned blue. The dress had no other design to it, except for a thin layer of lace that was covering it. It had to be the simplest dress she owned but the one that made the most statement. Stella went about finishing her look for the evening before she escorted her down the stairs to meet her brother in the foyer.

"You sure will turn heads tonight, sister." Jasper smiled as he gazed at her in awe.

"That is to be the plan, brother." Aurora smiled back. "Is Oliver not joining us?"

"It appears not. He has some business with father to attend to. It is to be just you and I this evening." He guided her towards the carriage and assisted her in before seating himself beside her and closing the door. With a bang of his fist, they were off to the ball.

"It has been quite some time since we have had a moment with just us two." Aurora commented.

"I believe it has Rory." The childhood nickname brought a smile to her face as it had been quite sometime since he had last used it. "That guest of ours seems to be taking up all your time."

"He is merely trying to woo his way into my heart. As are all the other men who come to our home." Aurora grinned. "And what of you? Where have you been traipsing at odd hours of the night? Visiting that secret person you've tried to keep hidden from me?" Jasper paled as he realized his sister's words. "Do not fret brother, your secret is safe with me." She patted his leg but he was still tense.

"You mustn't tell father." Jasper begged of her. "He can not know-"

"Know that the reason you can't give him an heir is because the person you are in love with is-"

"You do not need to say it aloud." He quickly shushed her as he glanced around frantically. She suppressed her giggles as he fidgeted in his seat. "How long have you known?"

"Not too long. Your secret really is safe with me brother, I would never tell anyone." She smiled reassuringly at him and he breathed a sigh of relief, kissing the top of her head in thanks. "We have arrived." The carriage came to a stop and the two wasted no time rushing to the festivities. They weren't inside for but a minute before Aurora was whisked away to dance and Jasper went in search of his friends. He found the four Bridgerton men standing by themselves in a corner and he grabbed a glass of champagne as he approached them.