chapter twelve

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅‎♡‧₊˚

Aurora stood at the bottom of the stairs, her handmaiden Stella beside her, the two of them sharing a bored look

Aurora stood at the bottom of the stairs, her handmaiden Stella beside her, the two of them sharing a bored look. "How is it that I take longer to dress yet I am the first ready?"

"Men are such fickle creatures," Stella joked, a teasing smile upon her face.

"They truly are," Aurora laughed. "Will you send Edmund to see if they are almost finished?" The lady nodded, scurrying off to find the male helper. The blonde waited patiently for one of the men in her family to descend the stairs, though it was quickly growing thin.

"My lady," she spun on her heel and faced Edmund, Stella moving to fret over her hair, helping Aurora fix a stray strand that fell from its place. "Lord Jasper has already departed. Lord Bridgerton will be accompanying you." Aurora looked at Stella in surprise. She knew it wasn't uncommon for a man to escort his chosen bride to a ball but he hadn't mentioned wanting to attend with her. She had just assumed they'd meet when they arrived separately. "His carriage sits outside."

"Of course, thank you Edmund," Aurora followed him to the door, bidding Stella goodbye for the evening. Standing with his head down, a single tulip in his hands, and clad in his usual Bridgerton shades of blue, Benjamin anxiously waited for the girl of his dreams to appear before him. He waited merely a few minutes before he heard the sound of the door opening and the click of her heels against the porch steps. Raising his head, his jaw dropped at the sight of her. Her dress was a pale blue shade, the bodice encrusted in jewels and sparkling under the lights that shined above her. She truly was a masterpiece to him. The most dazzling sight he'd ever seen.

"You're looking handsomely tonight, Mr. Bridgerton." He held a hand out to her, helping her ease down the steps until she stood before him. "Rather dashing, might I add." Her gloved hand rested in his and he longed to pull the fabric from her skin. The man craved the feeling of her skin upon his nearly all the time, being dangerously touch starved.

"Lady Hanford, of all the sights I've seen, none compare to you." His deep voice was low as he spoke, only wanting his words to be for her to hear. "Shall we?"

"We may," she nodded curtly, holding his hand firmly as she settled in the carriage, thankful she hadn't fallen or missed a step. "Are you prepared for the evening?"

"I am," he nodded. "Have you foregone your dance card?" His eyes flitted to her wrist.

"I have no desire to dance with anyone else, only you," she spoke with a bright smile upon her face. "You can have my first, last, and all in between."

"I will cherish every step with you," he smirked.

"You've become such a charmer these days," she teased him. "What has happened to brooding, quiet Benjamin I once knew?"

"He fell in love," he told her. He watched as her cheeks reddened, her eyes flashing him the same emotions he felt.

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅‎♡‧₊˚