16. Escaping

"It's enchanted," said Y/N gloomily, watching Sam pound his fist on the door. "Don't bother. No one's out there."

   He sighed and looked back down the stairs around the dim room. "She took your gun while you were out cold. Our phones, too. We'll never stand a chance if we wait for them to come back. We need to find a way out now."

   "Let me look at that hex bag they were making," suggested Y/N, descending the stairs. She knelt in front of the bowl, running a finger along the piece of fabric the herbs and bones would be tied up in.

   "What do you know about witchcraft?" Sam joined her.

   Y/N blinked. "You deal with this stuff all the time and the thought of memorizing a few spells for emergencies has never crossed your mind?"

   "Yeah, I'm not interested in meddling with dark magic, thank you very much." He squinted at the ingredients. "I've read about these, though."

   "Oh, you've read about them," mocked Y/N. "Thank God. We're saved." She turned and spotted the other few bottles and bags lining the wall near the foot of the stairs. Crawling over to examine them, she gasped. "I think I know how to get us out of here."

Sam watched with a concerned look as Y/N sprinkled powder from a tiny jar into the bowl. "And you're sure this is gonna work?"

   "It should reverse the spell on the door and let us out. It's supposed to undo any enchantment in this room." She screwed the cap back on the jar and gazed down into the bowl with satisfaction. I just hope I don't mess up the incantation. If I get it wrong, we might both die.

   Sam raised his eyebrows. "It should? It's supposed to?"

   "Shut up, I'm trying to focus."

   After a few seconds, she was fairly sure she had the right words in mind. She began to speak, what would have been a random jumble of Latin words to anyone else, and the stuff in the bowl caught fire for a split second. This nearly made Y/N jump out of her own skin, but she persisted until the incantation was finished.

   "Is that it?" whispered Sam.

   "I think so," she whispered back. "Go try the door."

   He sprinted up the stairs and twisted the knob. The door swung open, revealing the dark interior of the house.

   They'd almost made it to the front door when Y/N was flung against the wall and pressed against it by an invisible force. She craned her neck to see that the same thing happened to Sam.

   "So close," came the accented voice. The aunt stood just behind them. Ali was beside her, both hands raised, using her magic to keep the two hunters in place. "Kudos for trying, anyway."

   Dean chose this moment to burst through the front door. His eyes widened. The sudden entrance caused Ali's grip on Y/N to falter.

   "Son of a-" Dean began. Y/N remembered that he'd assumed Ali wasn't a threat.

   "Witch!" Y/N stated the obvious, pointing at the aunt.

   Dean didn't hesitate- for some reason that made Y/N feel good, feel like he trusted her- and raised his gun.

   "Wait!" shouted the aunt, holding her hands up. "Don't shoot. I can help you."

   "I doubt it," replied Dean.

   "Please- anything you want, I can get it. An audience with the coven, help with a demon deal, th-" She was cut off by a gunshot. The bullet hit her right between the eyes and she fell to the floor.

   Ali gasped and fell to her knees beside the woman.

   Y/N and Sam were finally able to move. "What did you do that for?" Sam asked his brother furiously. "Did you not hear-"

   "She was bluffing," Dean answered coldly.

   Y/N stared at the sobbing girl who clutched her aunt's hand. "What do we do with her?"

   "She's too dangerous to be left alone." Dean raised his gun again.

   "Wait!" whimpered Ali. She whispered something under her breath. Dean tilted his head to the side, confused, and before any of them realized she was reciting an incantation, Ali was gone.

   "Fan-friggin'-tastic," muttered Dean. He turned to the others. "You guys okay?"

   "I think so," said Y/N. "What did you do while we were gone?"

   He frowned. "What do you mean? We went in together, you disappeared, I looked around then went back outside. Then I heard the commotion and came in just now."

   "We were in there for two hours at least," objected Sam.

   "Maybe that enchantment was more wacky than we thought," said Y/N. She was beginning to question whether it had been a good idea to tell Sam about her past. Would he use it against her somehow? "We should get out of here."

   That night, getting ready for bed after her shower, she heard a knock on the door. It's Dean, she thought. And I'm gonna let him in and things are gonna get heated and mistakes are gonna be made. Not that she'd regretted them in the past. But what with her new feelings and the mystery as to why Dean had been so quick to shoot the witch, even though she offered her help with the very problem they were trying to solve, it wouldn't be right. Just tell him you're not in the mood tonight.

   She walked to the door and hesitated before opening it.

My instagram account is marvelousspn by the way! Go give me a follow :)