20) New Beach Order ✮

===Charī Kasutoro===

I stumbled out of the theater, shaking my head. The electronic mask clung to my face, the band tight around my shagging hair.

For the five days that I'd been here, I had played a game each day. For three of them, I had been the only survivor. I walked over to the register, grabbing the card I had won: the Seven of Diamonds. Smiling, I added it to my growing collection.

As I grabbed it, I once again caught sight of my forearms, which were littered with scars—a permanent reminder of what I had endured during my second game.

I was about to finally take off the mask I had to wear for tonight's game, when something rumbled in the distance. My ears perked, picking up on the sound, and I dropped my arms. The rumble grew into a roar; it became apparent it was from an engine.

'But... All cars aren't working! Unless...'

I shifted out my feet, walking to the edge of the sidewalk. At that moment, a car flashed by me. I yelped, tumbling backwards onto the ground, a sense of deja vu gripping my mind from when that same occurrence happened the day I arrived at the Borderlands.

'What?' I gawked at the car as it shrunk against the horizon. Dusting off my shorts, I got up and chased after it.

Soon, a light emerged in the distance. 'A light? Is that a venue? But... Why do I hear music coming from there as well?'

The car was lost as it turned and drove, but the hazy light and noise provided a beacon. I was out of breath by the time I was halfway there, but pushed my body the rest of the way. The music was lively; not a concert-level deafening, but the volume you'd expect at a party or dance. I slowed down, taking in the noise. It seemed overwhelming at first, but I soon rejoiced in the prospect of human interaction again—five days in quiet solitude had been quite unbearable.

The chatter now became apparent as well: whooping, splashing, and laughing. Laughing—in a land of death and suffering. How could these people live so joyously when they have to wager their lives every few nights?

The gate came into view, and, after a slight hesitation, I entered. Heads turned towards me.

"Um... Funny little place you guys have here."

"Oh, it's just a teen." Someone nearby said. With that, the attention I had briefly garnered evaporated. However, someone approached me.

"Hi, you just made yourself into the New Beach Order, or the Beach for short. Do you want to join us?"

"Honestly... I'm not sure. I feel a bit overwhelmed."

She smiled. "It's okay, how about I take you over to Erina?"

"Erina?"

"She's the leader of this place, makes sure everyone's doing okay and that things get done."

"Okay, I can talk to her."

"Just hold on a second while I get something real quick." She walked away, and I sat on the concrete ground while I waited. In front of me, crowds of people played in the pool and lingered around it, talking, drinking, and even dancing. She eventually returned with a glass of juice and a small roll. "Here's some berry juice and bread. Feel free to eat while we walk. You must be hungry and thirsty."

I followed her, but didn't yet touch my food. The juice seemed innocent enough; it was a saturated sunset red hue with a few clinking ice cubes and even a paper umbrella. Finally, a woman lounging in a sun bed came into view, surrounded by a few other people. Among them was Niko.