Chapter 5

I didn't see Ben at all for the next few days. The teachers say he's sick, but I don't think that's true. I tried to come to his dorm and comfort him but girls aren't allowed in boys' dorms and vice versa. I've been out on my balcony a lot trying to get a glimpse of Ben, but the one time I did see him he didn't even look in my direction. However, when I come outside to get some air after finishing my homework, I see him on his balcony, on his back, staring up at the sky. 

"Hey, Ben?" I whisper softly, trying to get his attention in the least surprising way possible, but- 

"AGH FAITH YOU ORPHAN DIDN'T YOUR PARENTS TELL YOU NOT TO SNEAK UP ON PEOPLE?" I blink. 

"Dude I was trying not to surprise you," I sigh. "Anyways, I have a gift for you, but it's more for us to share."

"Okay...?" He looks confused. I guess the best way to tell him is to show him. I go back into by dorm and pull out a ladder. "WHAT THE HECK? WHY WOULD I NEED A LADDER?" I guess Ben's done being 'sick', but he's still very irritable. 

"It's so we can go back and forth from each other's balconies without having to jump," I explain, "You nearly gave me a heart attack the first time, and I don't want to tackle you again." 

"Ok, but... a ladder?" 

"Yeah! I can say it's for decorating!" 

"...fine." 

"Ok, I actually need it for decorating though, it's nearly halloween! Wanna help? It could take some stuff off your mind..." I can tell he's genuinely thinking about it.

"No."

"What?" I actually thought he was going to help!

"Fine, but... only if we can decorate mine too..." he says, blushing a bit.

"I have so many ideas! Come on, we'll have so much fun!" I excitedly lay the ladder across the two balconies and crawl over. Ben laughs.

"Oh my god that looks so stupid. I'd rather jump."