Chapter 12

You didn't know where you were running, or what from but all you knew was that you had to escape... NOW! You can hear the brushes moving and sticks snapping behind you, your heart pounding in your chest nearly drowning it out. Your lungs and legs were screaming for rest but you didn't dare. 

You looked behind you, trying to see what was in your pursuit, you saw a brief glint of gold and white gaining distance between you, a squeak of fear slipped out and you willed your legs to move faster. Not like this, you didn't want to die like this. 

SMACK! Your face collides with mud, the hem of your dress snagged on a branch and toppled you over. Just as you freed yourself, a clawed hand gripped your throat. Shakily, you look up and meet the glowing, golden cat eyes staring back into your soul. The man-creature gives you a predatory grin, sharp teeth glinting in the moonlight. You try to gasp out it's name, an attempt to plead for your life, though not a sound could come out. Blood oozed out of your mouth instead as another clawed hand buries itself in your chest, ripping your heart out....  WAKE UP!

Geralt's voice invades your nightmare, you jolt up, chest heaving, eyes darting everywhere. Your eyes settled on those golden ones, and you nearly shriek.

"It's okay, it's just a nightmare." You looked at him, your fear addled brain still fumbling with comprehending what he had said. "You were having a nightmare." 

Tears welled up in your eyes and you buried your face in his chest, his hand gently placed itself on the middle of your back. "You can relax now, you're safe"

You sniffled,  now that the terror was fading, mortification was taking its place. "Oh, Geralt it was horrible. I dreamed that you were chasing me... and then... then you killed me." You half expected to see him look surprised or shocked, but you could barely find a hint of emotion in those feline eyes. You have begun to forget that he's not a normal human man, having shared so much time with him now. 

It suddenly dawned on you what position your body was in and you launch yourself out of his arms, shoving him away. "What do you think you're doing?!" 

"You needed comfort." 

Letting out a snort you replied, "From you? The fuck I do!" 

This time he made a confused face. "What are you talking about?"

"In my dream you ripped my heart out, just like you actually have! How could you sleep with me and get my hopes up when you clearly already have a woman?!" Your tears freely fall now. "Lady Yennifer is so pretty, I was such a fool to think that you'd fancy a simple peasant girl like me." 

Before Geralt could reply, you got up from your bed and threw a cloak on, you swung the door open and stormed out. Geralt tried to go after you, to stop you before you left outside, but you paid him no mind, other than to curse him out with every swear word you knew in your mind. You just needed to take a walk before you continued this conversation, you've felt enough humiliation tonight. It's deserved though, you had thought you found a man to fill the shoes your late husband left behind, but instead you were swindled. Maybe what everyone said about Witchers was true? Geralt certainly played you, so maybe they are all whoresons and cheats. Whatever they are, you managed to escape yours for now. 

It was still late at night so it was dark out, the occasional street torch barely illuminating your way. You clutched your cloak tighter to you as you got further and further from civilization. Soon the nighttime sounds of people were replaced with the sounds of forest life. 

You see a campfire in the distance and decide to head towards it, it looked like a good spot to clear your mind at. You needed to decide what you wanted to do and what you'd like to say to Geralt. You love him, that much is true, but is this treachery something your heart can forgive? 

You sit down on a log in front of the fire, staring at the flames almost in a trance. The warmth was so comforting. You almost doze off when the sound of sticks snapping, snap you out of it, it was all too similar to your dream. Hopefully its just the owner of this campsite returning. But several snarls from the darkness quickly shatter that. You scream as something lunges at you from the forest...