Chapter 6

"Are you okay?" Geralt asked randomly at dinner one night.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" you replied.

He took a drink from his water before replying, "You have been acting differently, it's like you have been avoiding me lately."

Shit! He is on to me! You panicked internally while trying to maintain a calm exterior. His gaze on you was making that difficult as he was closely noting your every reaction. "Why... Why would you think that?" you asked, trying to play a fool and mentally scolding yourself for your studder.

"You have been acting nervous, you always back away whenever I go up to you. And now, where we used to talk a lot during meals, you are silent. Have I offended you?"

"What? No, no, you haven't done anything wrong." You answered.

"Then why are you distancing yourself from me?"

"...." You couldn't think of a logical lie that he would take.

"Well?" he demanded.

You sighed, "I am afraid of ruining our friendship..."

"But why?" he asked.

You swallowed nervously like an adolescent girl who was about to confess her affections. Well... You were about to do that last bit. "I.... Um... Do you remember I jolted up from my sleep and said it was from a dream about the kikimores?" He nodded. "Well.... It wasn't actually the kikimores... It was a dream about.. You..."

He smirked slightly "How would that ruin our friendship?"

"Because in the dream... We kissed..." Well, he is sure to hate you now that you finally said it.

His smirk widened, "I know."

"You knew?! How?!" you panicked.

"You talk in your sleep." he chuckled as you blushed.

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I be mad?" he asked.

"Because you don't have the same feelings towards me. I am just some scruffy peasant girl and you... You're such a strong and famous man... And a Witcher of all things. How... How could you like me? And... You have your sorceress. Everyone knows you love the sorceress Yennefer."

"I haven't seen Yen in... Years, and we were falling apart then anways." He gets up from his chair and walks over to you, placing a hand gently on your cheek. "And who says I don't like you? You are very beautiful. I don't care if you are a peasant, you are beautiful, and you have been kind to me. Not many people are kind to me because I am a Witcher, I can be as famous as I want, but they will still hate me for being a Witcher. But you... You looked past that. How could I not like you?" he said gently, bringing a few tears of joy to your eyes.

You bolted out of your chair and into his arms, planting your soft lips onto his slightly chapped ones. It was much different from the dream, but it was also much better. It was real, not just your imagination. And it was heaven when his strong tongue made it into your mouth and danced with yours.

Your passion built as you kissed. His hands explored your body just as much as yours did. He moved his hands to the strings of your dress, and he started to undo them. But thoughts of your husband invaded your mind, he was the last person to do this to you and you felt like you were just throwing him out by letting this continue. You needed your time to mourn him before you could take another man to your bed.

"Geralt... Stop." You stepped away from him.

"Is something wrong?" he asked concerned.

"I... I can't do this yet... I'm not ready... My.. My husband..." you began to tear up.

He nodded in understanding and offered his arms out for a hug. You embraced him and cried into his chest as memory of your lost beloved flooded your memories. And so Geralt held you until you calmed, and longer after that. He didn't press you to talk about it. He just let you have your moment, and you were thankful for that.