~ chapter 4 ~

I'm in the arena, on my way to the locker room, still terrified

I'm in the arena, on my way to the locker room, still terrified. What if they hate me? I mean that's probably a given, they are definitely going to hate me. I'm a girl.  Scooter approaches me from behind and drapes his arm over my neck.

"God, you got to stop doing that," I say.

"Sorry, I'll try." Scooter smiles "You ready?"

"No, but it's either now or never."

Scooter's arm is still around my neck as we enter the locker room. Everyone looks up as we walk in. I remove his arm from my neck and keep my head down as I walk to my spot. I'm seated between Scooter and Darrow. Scooter sits on my left, and Darrow sits to my right.

"Oh so you weren't lying, you're really on our team?" Darrow says as I sit down.

"Yeah, I am," I respond with a tiny laugh.

We exchange smiles. I open my bag and begin putting on my gear. Maybe this won't be so horrible after all. I keep getting ready and listening in on the conversations around me. To be honest, all of the boys are quite boring.

We finish putting on our gear and begin our walk to the ice. I tie my long brown hair into a three-stranded braid, before putting on my helmet halfway so that it sits on my forehead, I then collect the remaining of my belongings. The changeroom is already half empty. Before venturing out onto the ice, I grab my gloves, water bottle, and stick.

I make my way to the changeroom door, but I can't open it since my gloves restrict me, so I give Scooter a look. He rolls his eyes as he gathers the last of his equipment and approaches the door to greet me. He swings the door open for me, I grin and walk out, and he follows behind me.

"Do I get a thank you?" he wonders.

"Do you want one?" I ask.

"Well, yeah."

"All right, thank you."

"That's not even a proper thank you," he grumbles, rolling his eyes.

I laugh at him because it is extremely easy to anger him. As we reach the boards, Scooter adjusts his gloves and steps onto the ice, while I pause to look around at the other guys. Except for Scooter, everyone is warming up with some shooting. He was the team's other goalie, so he was only stretching. Darrow walks up from behind me.

"Are you coming or just going to stare all day?" he inquires.

"I'm coming," I smile.

I put on my helmet and gloves, grab my stick, and walk onto the ice. The sound of skates gliding on the ice and sticks slashing against pucks becomes more apparent. I skate over to Scooter and drop beside him. We start stretching together. Rick begins skating towards me and Scooter while I stretch and loosen my muscles. He skates straight up to me and snows me in the face.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" I say this as I rise from my stance.

"What? It was funny?" Rick sighs and rolls his eyes.