~ chapter 5 ~

The next morning, I got up late

The next morning, I got up late. I hurriedly brushed my hair and changed into clean clothes. I put on a pair of black tight shorts, a black athletic T-shirt, and my red Letterman jacket. I brush my teeth before grabbing my backpack and walking out the door. My knee feels a little better now, the tape is making it easier to walk on. On my way out, I bump into Scooter.

"Oh, Scooter," I say.

"Hey Gabby, you slept in too?"

"Yeah, I stayed up late."

"Doing what?" he asks.

"Homework," I roll my eyes, failing to mention that Rick came over to my dorm last night. I'm sure we are going back to hating each other today.

"That sucks, How are you adjusting to the team?" I shrug my shoulders in response " I know you miss your friends" he continues.

"Yeah but they don't miss me so it doesn't matter"

"What do you mean by that? Is everything okay?" Scooter asks concerned. He's a very caring guy especially when it comes to his friends but I'm not a person who loves to talk about her feelings. "It's nothing" I reply brushing it off. 

"Who taped up you're knee?" he asked quickly changing the subject, he could have picked anything else to talk about. "Me" I reply shrugging my shoulders.

"Okay" is all that Scooter says, leaving me alone. We ride the rest of the way down in silence. We walk outside and onto the path that leads us straight to the doors of the school.

"Wanna come out with me tonight? Take your mind off things?" Scooter asks as we approach the front of the school.

"Oh I don't know, I might have homework" I reply.

"Oh live a little El, it's Friday anyway, you have the whole weekend."

"I don't know, I'm not sure I'm in the mood. Can I let you know?"

"Yeah no rush," Scooter says with a warm smile. We parted ways once we entered the school. 

"Hey kid," says a familiar voice "How's your knee feeling" he asks. 

"It's fine." I reply dryly " I'm late for class, I gotta go" I give him a fake smile and turn on my heels and head to first period.

Dean taps me on the shoulder interrupting me. What could he possibly want from me? "What do you need? Hurry up and get it over with I need to get to class" I say meanly. I definitely could've said that way nicer but I'm just not in the mood today.

"Am I interrupting something? Are you okay?" he asks. "Yeah sorry. I didn't mean to snap"

"It's fine I understand, congrats on the big promotion!"

"Oh thank you! Um, what do you need exactly?"I ask.

"Can you help me  study tonight? I haven't been doing well in math and I just need some help. Especially if I want to stay on the team."