Chapter 4: I'll take care of ya

"Yo, MJ!" Danny's voice called from down the hall.

Aurora and I were at her locker after school. She stopped putting books into her backpack and looked at me, confused.

"Yeah," I chuckled, "Danny decided my name was too long, so he gave me a nickname."

"'Maria' is too long?"

"Well, he's been calling me by my full name for the past couple of weeks."

"MJ!" Danny called.

"He is so weird," said Aurora.

I shrugged, then turned toward Danny as he wove his way through the crowded hallway. "Hey, Danny, what's up?"

"Are we skateboarding?"

"Yep. Lemme get my stuff."

"Cool." Danny's dimples creased as he looked down at me. "I brought you a board. Meet me on the side of school."

"See you in a bit."

"Bye, MJ!"

"Bye, Danny."

As quickly as he appeared, Danny vanished.

Aurora turned to me—surprise evident. "You are going to learn how to skateboard? And Danny is going to teach you?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. I guess these are skater shoes." I shook my right foot. "Tim accused me of being a poser, and Danny came to my rescue. He said I bought the shoes because I wanted to learn how to skate. So, here we are."

Aurora grimaced. "That would've been bad if everyone thought you were a poser."

"I know. It's not like I want to learn, but I'd rather learn than be called out."

Aurora nodded. "Yeah, I get it. Well, nothing much you can do. Good thing Danny was nice enough to lie for you. Tim is such a jerk."

"Right? Danny is so nice; I don't really get why they're friends."

"Who knows? Well, better get going," Aurora said. "Don't want to keep Danny waiting."

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya!"

When I got to my locker I shoved my books and lunch box in my backpack. I grabbed my coat, then headed out the side door where I found Danny sitting on the curb.

He had his feet up on his skateboard and was gently rolling it back and forth. The sun shone on his face, illuminating his features. I paused a moment, thinking this was the most still I'd ever seen Danny. He seemed peaceful. I almost hated to interrupt.

But Danny must've heard me. He turned his face away from the sun and a gentle smile moved across his mouth. "There you are, MJ."

"Here I am." I sat down next to him.

"You ready to learn how to skate?"

"Not really."

Danny laughed. "Don't worry, MJ. I'll take care of ya."

I winced as I put my hair in a ponytail. It took forever to iron straight my thick mocha curls and the hair tie would probably leave a crease behind.

Oh well.

Danny pointed his chin to the park across the street. "Wanna go over there so you don't have to learn how to skate in front of the school?"

I nodded, relieved. Though I told my mom I'd be at school, the park was close enough. I just had to make sure I was back in time for her to pick me up.